Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Who is ill already then?! COVID or not!

Whoisillthen · 13/09/2020 16:57

It's a world record...DD has come down with snot and goo within 3 days of being back. I've got a sore throat, blocked ears and so does DH. We all work in schools. Obviously not COVID symptoms so just carrying on.

Students in my class are ill- I've had two run out to be sick, 3 complaining of severe headache and a few off with "COVID related symptoms" but back in within a day.

It's not usually this bad until a few weeks in! I wonder if it's because our immune systems are weaker due to having 6months off?!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cantaloupeisland · 13/09/2020 17:06

Me! Scratchy sore throat and blocked nose. Feel a bit meh but not too bad so will be going in tomorrow! No cough or temp. Can't believe I've picked up a cold so soon

Please
or

ohthegoats · 13/09/2020 18:44

Absolute steaming piles of snot. But nothing else - it's literally a nose thing.

I'm thinking that it's probably another type of coronavirus, therefore it's helping build up some immunity for the big lurg. Or some other bullshit.

Please
or

Whoisillthen · 13/09/2020 18:47

Haha we will tell ourselves that!

OP's posts:
Please
or

PumpkinPie2016 · 13/09/2020 19:28

I had a sore throat/sneezes last week. Not too bad but irritating none the less when trying to teach.

DS has just gone into Y2 and has been sneezing all week. DH caught it off us.

Not covid so all plodding on Grin

Please
or

PenOrPencil · 13/09/2020 20:24

I have got a stinking cold, streaming nose and sore throat, so does ds who is in 6th form but in a different school to me. We passed it on to dh who is still working from home. Dd is the only one who is fine.

One pupil in my form has a sore throat, too. Another one of my pupils was in Monday-Thursday, I saw them 3 times. Somebody in their family has tested positive for Covid so they are now self isolating. Confused

Please
or

Lancrelady80 · 19/09/2020 00:35

Me. V bad headache, tired, came home for PPA Weds pm as felt so poorly and threw up.

Dd started Reception this year. She's now full of a snotty cold and coughing away restless in bed. Hoping cough goes so we can both be back in school on Monday. She always gets a nasty cough with a cold, worse at night, so pretty sure it's not Covid.

Apparently 1/4 of the class were absent today for one reason or another too.

Please
or

MadameMinimes · 19/09/2020 09:46

Lancre- Your daughter has a cough. Surely that means you can’t go to school on Monday without a negative test result?
We’ve had staff off this week for just that reason. Young children with coughs that they were pretty sure was not Covid because they always get a cough when ill but they had to stay off until the negative result came through. Both those children tested negative and the staff members are back/will be back Monday.

Please get a test and stay off until you get a result. We may have to close bubbles from Monday because a parent who was “sure” they just had a cold sent their kids in even though they were waiting for test results (for the parent). We sent one of their kids home with symptoms yesterday (and the sibling to self-isolate) only for the parents to contact us later in the day to say they’d had a positive result now. It’s so frustrating. Their kids should not have been in school but they thought they knew better and that it couldn’t be Covid because the cough wasn’t dry and they also had a snotty nose. We really don’t want to close the school again but it’s looking increasingly inevitable and will happen all the quicker if people don’t self-isolate for coughs.

Please
or

Whoisillthen · 19/09/2020 12:14

Well thought I would just update the thread with my woes, my daughter did indeed develop a cough the very next day after I posted. So did the whole family. Getting a test was a fucking nightmare but the worst part is we are now waiting for everybody's tests to come back. I've spent most of the week at home, my poor classes have had supply in (always a nightmare in secondary). I have GCSE students. I've worked from home but it doesn't make up for me being in and teaching. The tests we do have back are negative but not all are back yet.

And my 5 year old has become a rude little madam because she doesn't understand why we are back in "lockdown" again.

I'm getting angrier by the day and I'm so worried they won't be back by Monday! My work are being great about it thank god.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lancrelady80 · 19/09/2020 14:42

Dd has literally only coughed in her sleep. Not a peep of anything in the day either yesterday or today, just an extremely runny nose. No temp. Eating happily.

Do you think she should get tested? Genuinely asking.

She was born early and spent 9 months on oxygen due to Chronic Lung Disease, was in and out of hospital as a baby with bronchiolitis and although she has now grown out of those issues, any time she's poorly she gets an asthmatic cough. She's only started Reception this year so due to catch all bugs going...she (and I) will never be at school if we have to self isolate and test every time.

My gut instinct was to see if she coughed at all in the day and go for a test if so. But there hasn't been.

We think both children and my husband had it in April, if that makes any difference.

Please
or

MadameMinimes · 19/09/2020 14:58

If it was just a one off cough in her sleep then no, but if she’s coughing a lot in her sleep then I really do think you should get a test.

Please
or

Augustbreeze · 19/09/2020 15:13

3 coughing episodes in 24 hours, that could be all in her sleep?

Please
or

Lancrelady80 · 19/09/2020 15:39

Yeah, I guess. Pants! I'm going to be Miss Popular given I've just had two days off myself due to migraine/sick.:-(

Please
or

Varjakpaw · 19/09/2020 16:06

The scratchy sore throat, snotty nose and sneezing has swept through our primary year group bubble. We haven't had a single positive test in the whole school, but it is worrying how easily this cold has spread. We are cleaning, hand washing and sanitising, face shield wearing and generally being fairly careful, but it obviously isn't enough.

Please
or

Valenciaoranges · 20/09/2020 10:52

Totally blocked nose, swollen glands, headaches and fatigue. Hoping it will ease by tomorrow so I can go to work. It’s so annoying as I do everything I can to avoid getting ill.

Please
or

Whoisillthen · 20/09/2020 16:48

It's amazing isn't it. I honestly thought that one of the only benefits of the virus was the increased cleanliness in school...yet common colds have swept their way through us all! No chance against COVID of this is what a cold does! Still no results. Tomorrow will be day 7 of isolating.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Washimal · 20/09/2020 18:43

My 6yo started with a cold this morning. No temp, just really snotty, complaining of a sore throat and a bit tired. I said to DH "oh well, there's no cough so at least we don't need to worry about getting a test"....you guessed it, she has now developed a cough and DH and I are engaged in a heated debate about the definition of the word "continuous".

I had to take three days off the first week of term while we waited for test results due to our youngest having a fever so I'm going to be really popular at work if we have to self-isolate again so soon Sad
Also dreading the prospect of another test as DD was so distressed last time...that's if we can even get one!

Please
or

Whattodo121 · 20/09/2020 21:01

🙋🏼‍♀️🙋🏼‍♀️🙋🏼‍♀️🙋🏼‍♀️ Ds has had a nasty cold since Thursday evening. Thankfully I don’t work Fridays so have kept him at home since then, with me and DH popping in and out to shops etc. His cough started yesterday, as did my horrible sore throat and blocked up nose. Managed to get a COVID test for us both this evening, so we shall see.... Fingers crossed for a quick result. Both ds and I get asthma and chest infections every winter and I’m fairly sure that’s what this is, but i didn’t want to take the risk.

Please
or

HairyMaclary · 20/09/2020 22:32

I got knocked out for most of last week. DS’s and I had sore throats last weekend, I got called at 9.10 on Monday morning, DS2 had coughed, please collect them both... By the time I got to them I was coughing too. Covid rest that day, negative results back on Weds. meanwhile I just went downhill, headache, clocked nose, temp, shivers, cough, the works. Could barely move for 3 days. Finally made it back into work on Friday for half a day on antibiotics. I haven’t been so ill for years!

Please
or

Whattodo121 · 21/09/2020 15:02

Covid result came back at 2pm, both of ours were negative thankfully! Have rung DS’s school and told them he’ll be back tomorrow, he’s absolutely fine and full of beans and bored senseless, just coughing occasionally. Thankfully I don’t work Tuesdays so I’ll get an extra day at home tomorrow to recover by myself without having to watch top gear re-runs and having to provide snacks every 45 minutes 😂

Please
or

Enoughnowstop · 21/09/2020 15:33

Yep. And I have been so careful with hand washing and sanitizer.

Please
or

Frankincense88 · 23/09/2020 09:07

Me 🙋🏼‍♀️ one of my Y11s (whose mother is a member of staff) came in with a cough and a temperature, proceeded to cough all over the place throughout my lesson. I promptly reported her and she was sent home to isolate and by P5 I had come down with it. Been off since Friday and it's now turned into what I think is a chest infection. I'm also pregnant so can't take anything to ease symptoms and have never felt so unwell. I'm short of breath, coughing until I'm heaving and haven't really slept since Thursday. Still awaiting covid results and waiting for the doctor to phone me back to see if I can be prescribed anything. I'm fuming people can be so bloody selfish and still send their kids in despite knowing the guidelines.

Please
or

year5teacher · 25/09/2020 06:23

I genuinely can’t believe I’m saying this but I’ve actually got a cold.
For the first time in about two years. I never get ill, worked in reception for four years. Half my class have the cold too. I’m hoping I’ll be able to shake it off quickly as I’m definitely not having any time off for a cold.

Please
or

year5teacher · 25/09/2020 06:25

I should add it’s a mild cold, not like what people on the thread have experienced! I’m just wiped out, it’s set off my chronic pain condition and I have a sore throat.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.