Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Who thinks they will still have a full school by half term ?

HereIgoagainagain · 09/09/2020 17:36

We have had a gradual increase of students over the last week. The younger students (on the whole) are actually pretty good at the masks/sanitiser regime.
However a lot of the older ones (and the ones who are allegedly more likely to pass virus on) are too cool for such nonsense.

My school is doing all it can but it still feels like we are all taking a risk every day. Not too mention the stress of teachers not having a classroom and having to run around like blue arsed flies all day.

We are thinking of setting up a sweepstake for the first bubble to close but are trying to stay positive.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Keepdistance · 10/09/2020 13:07

I dont know. But i would put money ob my dc school primary having cases by then.
We are about 10min from a city.
Bubbles of 60 or 30.
Lots have been abroad or are from abroad so.will have been visiting relatives in france or spain etc.
Parents are back doing all the clubs and at the pubs. Noone hand santizing after the park etc.
Plus there is walking paat either 1 person with a very very long term cough or lots of people coughing!
It feels ridiculous as many people wanted pt or home learning. This feels much more disruptive and incredibly stressful for anyone worried.

Please
or

Wolke · 12/09/2020 11:25

One of our biology teachers has set up a sweepstake. Consensus is mid November before secondaries are shut again. Personally I think sooner.

Please
or

ohthegoats · 12/09/2020 11:48

We've got a sweepstake going on for 'number of tests taken by staff by half term'. We are a school of around 500, had 130 off earlier this week. So, not a full school at all!

Please
or

FrameByFrame · 12/09/2020 12:42

We didn't make it past the first week before a child tested positive and whole Class sent home for two weeks! Has shaken us all, as we are a primary school in a low risk area. I'm hoping it won't have spread within the Class/school. Really shocked, as I'd convinced myself we were very unlikely to be affected.

Please
or

StaffAssociationRepresentative · 12/09/2020 14:46

Plenty of kids at my school are talking about going away a half term - parents taking advantage of cheap deals. This means we will have some self isolating but surprise surprise they will be in Cyprus the week before half term!

I think this will be the years when parents can push school date boundaries. Our head is dreading the skiing season as we may only have 75% of the school in!

As for a Covid closure - definitely by November

Please
or

ohthegoats · 12/09/2020 15:08

Ski season is going to be interesting this year. We've just postponed our Christmas trip to Feb 2022. Seems mad! Worried about how a resort will actually work. If the mountain /lift system can only have half capacity, it won't make it value for money.

Please
or

Daisy169 · 12/09/2020 15:56

I school made it to day 5 of the kids being in before a positive result and a "bubble" of 100 being sent home.

Please
or

Daisy169 · 12/09/2020 15:56

*my

Please
or

LittleMachine · 12/09/2020 20:21

We're 9 days in and have 2 bubbles isolating already. One positive staff result and one parent positive result - a parent who has been in school.

Please
or

Wait4nothing · 13/09/2020 08:25

I’m in a large primary and we have decreasing pupil and staff numbers (due to having to self isolate for temp/cough) and one bubble has popped. We’ve been back just over a week.

Please
or

HereIgoagainagain · 13/09/2020 09:25

I am in a secondary with over 1500 students , thankfully no bubbles sent home yet but we do have people isolating and waiting for test results so who knows what next week will bring?

The news that I can no longer have a family BBQ with half a dozen other people but can be in a school is ridiculous. We all want to keep it going but it does feel like the calm before the storm here.

OP's posts:
Please
or

CraftyGin · 13/09/2020 11:24

Those with closures already, are you in high risk areas?

We have had one student absence this week. I am really surprised that everyone returned to school, just a few tears on Monday morning.

Please
or

Wait4nothing · 14/09/2020 06:47

I’m in an area that is around average according to the bbc postcode checker - worrying!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.