Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Job openings - any ideas when?

Pandacub7 · 08/08/2020 15:10

Primary teaching jobs are always competitive in this particular area of England, but I’ve heard that there’s been at least a 40% decrease in job adverts. Obviously this is due to uncertainties in all aspects of society.

I qualified with my PGCE QTS last month, but I’ve been applying since April. No luck. Some jobs I applied for withdrew their adverts. Any ideas when schools might start advertising again?

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I have taught EYFS, KS1 and KS2. My degree is in a core subject. It’s so deflating and I’m worried it will be months before I find a job as a teacher.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hercwasonaroll · 08/08/2020 15:30

If you're core what about secondary ks3 roles? Or middle school if you're in that area.

You'll probably find supply work come September too. I predict a mass exodus around Christmas (people have to resign by Oct half term) so October onwards. However if the economy is in free fall people may stay for stability.

Please
or

Pandacub7 · 08/08/2020 17:55

@Hercwasonaroll thanks for replying. I’m not sure secondary would employ me as I haven’t taught teenagers before. Although I do have a Bachelors degree in a subject in demand. No middle schools around here, unfortunately. Didn’t know about the October cut off, so that’s interesting!

OP's posts:
Please
or

PumpkinPie2016 · 08/08/2020 18:01

I suspect the decrease in vacancies at the moment is due to all the uncertainty around coronavirus. I work in a large secondary and we normally have about 10-12 leaving each year for promotions/retirement etc.

We had 3 this year. 2 had accepted new jobs before covid hit and 1 retired.

Similar to @Hercwasonaroll I think there may be a mass exodus at Christmas because of coronavirus and the ways of working which we currently have to adapt to. So, keep your eye on the jobs around Oct/Nov. Maternity covers crop up so might be worth a go.

You mention that your area is always competitive for primary -can you travel further/relocate, even if only for a year or two?

Please
or

Hercwasonaroll · 08/08/2020 18:05

I'd definitely whack an application in for secondary if you're struggling. Be honest about your experience but if you're maths we'd bite your hand off!!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?