Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Any Scottish teachers worried about returning to school on August 11th?

neveradullmoment99 · 02/08/2020 00:09

Really concerned that the Scottish Government are just letting all the children back into school and it just feels as if its just business as usual?
No social distancing between pupils and teachers are to wear PPE if they want but no masks for the children [Despite masks being compulsory in a supermarket from the age of 2 in Scotland]
Not read the full guidance but not confident about my safety or even the safety of my own children, especially my high school kids.

OP's posts:
Please
or

dementedpixie · 02/08/2020 09:11

its age 5 for masks in Scotland, not 2. Still waiting for the info from our school regarding my 2 high school kids.

Please
or

Lidlfix · 02/08/2020 09:13

I have and I am. I want frame this by saying that I really want to be back in the classroom, teaching from home nearly broke me as I missed my pupils and colleagues so much. But I am a secondary teacher with a senior heavy timetable and will spend the majority of my day in a small poorly ventilated room with over 15s. Everywhere else but in that room they would have face coverings on in busy places and observe distancing.

The 49 page document is a steaming pile of "may" and "when possible". I would hate to a Director of Education or HT trying to cobble policy and procedures out of it. This will no doubt lead to huge inconsistencies in how guidelines are applied and cause upset to parents and pupils.

Not to mention the really sinister side of usforthem. Will they spam my mailbox if I wear a (absolutely within my rights according to paragraph 81) face covering. There are some very vocal parents stating they will send symptomatic children to school as "their education has been disrupted enough" and not consent to testing should the school ask them to as it will likely be just a cold. FFS we don't get to self diagnose. They also teaching about mask hygiene banned as this normalises the wearing of masks.

My DD is going into S6 and we are awaiting her 5 Highers results so of course I want schools open but what clear easy to follow procedures. The first few weeks be more about health and well-being and "reschooling" than sprinting towards deadlines.

Please
or

neveradullmoment99 · 02/08/2020 11:46

Thank you for you replies. Sorry, yes, it was late when I posted this and I couldn't exactly remember the age that it was in Scotland. Either way, it is inconsistent in schools.
I am just surprised that I don't hear anyone else that is concerned or maybe I am in the wrong forums.
Today again, there is another cluster in a pub in Aberdeen.
I also too am happy to go back provided that the the risks are being mitigated carefully [ obviously all risks cannot be]
@Lidlfix I totally agree with home schooling being not ideal and personally hated it. I saw a real decline in motivation with own children and it was difficult with all my work commitments and my dh's. It all seemed to fall on me as I was the 'teacher'
Personally I am in Primary school with a pretty young staff who all do not really regard this as an issue and more interested in furthering their own careers so I doubt they will really care to think about the implications. I will have a face mask but will probably be discouraged from using it because I will be the only one.

OP's posts:
Please
or

neveradullmoment99 · 02/08/2020 11:49

I also think that school closures wont happen again. It will be come hell or high water. Oh well, here's to catching covid :( I used to feel valued as a teacher. Now only a glorified babysitter, so that others can go to work...

OP's posts:
Please
or

StaffAssociationRepresentative · 02/08/2020 12:11

I think what happens in England will be impacted upon what happens in Scotland. Everyone will be watching with baited breadth.

Please
or

neveradullmoment99 · 02/08/2020 12:15

Totally agree.
I'm fine about going back if the safety of teachers and children are at heart. I'm just not convinced its for the right reasons.
I think pressure is immense on Governments to get children back at all costsShock

OP's posts:
Please
or

neveradullmoment99 · 02/08/2020 12:20

I think they've basically ditched all the social distancing measures because of practicalities of getting children back all in the classroom like pre Covid-19.
The Scottish gov. believes its the community that drives covid, not the school. If its high in the community, it will affect the school. They are saying that the school doesn't drive it. Well we will see....

OP's posts:
Please
or

neveradullmoment99 · 02/08/2020 12:21

'The 49 page document is a steaming pile of "may" and "when possible".'

Even more concerning. Will read page to page later.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lidlfix · 02/08/2020 12:35

Neveradullmoment there are threads in Scotsnet but they carry a severe "teacher bashing" health warning. Thanks for starting this one in a safe space.

Personally, I will wear a mask when I (not some ranting COVID denier on usforthem) think it's required. Big strapping 17 year olds who have known me since their transition lessons are hardly going to freaked out by me in a mask and my subject (English) is always at max class size so 31 of us in a tiny room. They distance and wear face coverings in their retail and hospitality jobs at the weekend. It's a pedagogical miracle,hallelujah, the virus knows when they're in the classroom so will pass us all by .

Wee terrified new S1s with the gentle start work I have planned? Maybe not but I haven't met them yet.

Wiping down desks in between class changes. Well I can do that , not princessy at all about it , but how long will that take me when I have a class waiting to come in?

There are days when I have no Non contact and my room is a registration room. So 8 x 30 occupants in those days. My key worker (hate the expression) continued to work in his normal place of work throughout. One of the first things to stop was hot desking.

Please
or

DollyMixtureLulus · 02/08/2020 13:44

Last week I felt okay, but reading the guidance has made me uneasy. I’ve also had the news on more so I’m more aware of the numbers too.

I’m primary and lucky enough to be getting a big room and a small class.

I don’t particularly want to wear a mask but I’ve always got some in my bag now in case I do want to pop one on.

I’m also not at all princessing about doing my desks myself etc, but I am concerned about the actual provision of cleaning materials. That horrible harsh school soap tore my (and the kids’!) hands to shreds, but I’m not at all keen on buying my own weekly cleaning materials!

Please
or

Lidlfix · 02/08/2020 15:57

Dolly we all had what my wee nana used call "housrmaids' hands" in the week or so before we closed. On my visit in the empty my classroom ( to meet the 50% with distancing plan) I was delighted to discover that , for the first time in my 9 years in my current school, we had more than one working soap dispenser in the Ladies at the staff room. Only to a global pandemic to achieve that!

I will really object to providing cleaning products especially since there are days where I might need to wipe down 8 times. That would be really costly. It will also eat into precious teaching time which will just have to be the routine for the duration.

Interestingly SQA aren't for saying if 2021 exams are going to look any different to reflect the remote learning period . Confused

Please
or

Piggywaspushed · 02/08/2020 16:15

It is time for the government to recognise UsForThem for the dangerous people they are.

Please
or

StaffAssociationRepresentative · 02/08/2020 16:25

@Piggywaspushed I think that moment is coming

Please
or

Lidlfix · 02/08/2020 16:42

I have spent time reading their threads to laugh with incredulity, the in fighting is also hilarious, but I just end up really sad and frightened that they actually believe they have right to tell us what to do with our bodies and health. As they moan about being in a 1984 culture.

Please
or

StaffAssociationRepresentative · 02/08/2020 16:43

They look as though they want to create their own Gilead

Please
or

DollyMixtureLulus · 02/08/2020 16:45

Did anyone else pick up on the McCrone section of the guidance? That we could have a day every 3 weeks in lieu of weekly time?

I was initially quite keen on that, but it does make the working week very long. I’d also do no work on my day off Blush

Please
or

Lidlfix · 02/08/2020 16:52

May the Lord open my classroom window. Which, let me tell you that even for us wildlings in the north, is going to be really uncomfortable. Winter is coming.

Please
or

Lidlfix · 02/08/2020 16:53

Dolly I missed that, do you know which section it was roughly?

Please
or

DollyMixtureLulus · 02/08/2020 17:09

1. With regard to movement of NCCT teachers between classes and across settings, this is permitted but should be minimised wherever possible. Schools should be encouraged to follow SNCT and LNCT guidance on how flexibility of time over a 2 or 4 week period may help to reduce movement of staff across classes.
Please
or

neveradullmoment99 · 02/08/2020 18:55

@DollyMixtureLulus - I was reading about that flexibility. How does that work in practice if you are a NCCT teacher. Worried this might be me this session.

OP's posts:
Please
or

neveradullmoment99 · 02/08/2020 18:58

Oh sorry Dolly, just noticed your comment above. So it would mean that NCCT would be on a day basis. Covering classes for days rather than every few hours. Not really keen on that either.

OP's posts:
Please
or

neveradullmoment99 · 02/08/2020 18:59

..and as a jobshare it would take me ages to build up to having a day off!

OP's posts:
Please
or

neveradullmoment99 · 02/08/2020 19:00

The problem for me is, i have no idea what i am doing as it was all planned that due to blended learning i would have a little group of children. Now thats out of the window, i am not sure what i am doing!

OP's posts:
Please
or

DollyMixtureLulus · 03/08/2020 08:10

I expect it would be every 2 weeks for a full time class teacher and part timers would have either a full day or half day every month.

At least you can’t be tempted to work during the last week of the holidays.

Please
or

neveradullmoment99 · 03/08/2020 10:31

Sadly @DollyMixtureLulus our school is open from today so many teachers will be in preparing their classes. Although tbh, the circumstances have changed so no one is 100% what their 'class' is but iI reckon they will probably keep the same class with the exception of me :( I was 'sharing a class with another teacher and most likely they will have the kids all back which means I don't have any children which makes me suspicious that I will be lumped with the NCCT again. I will raise my objection as there are many that haven't done it and think that it is unfair since I have done it quite a few times.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.