Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Shielding Teachers

SleepymummyZzz · 14/04/2020 17:38

I know I am getting way ahead of myself but with all the recent talk of schools reopening, as a Teacher in the extremely vulnerable group, I am getting very worried. I just can’t see a way out of this for me prior to a vaccine, if I go back at any point before this surely I am just putting my life in my hands 😔 What do you think the options will be for the Government with the shrouded group longer term?

OP's posts:
Please
or

SleepymummyZzz · 14/04/2020 17:39

*shielded not shrouded 😬

OP's posts:
Please
or

BeeBella · 14/04/2020 22:18

I'm worried about this too. I have asthma so not in the extremely vulnerable group, but I really feel unsafe being at school. Not sure what my alternative is though- I can't afford not to work. Head was great about letting me work from home before the closures but if we reopen then I'll be expected to go back in. It's a real concern.

Please
or

NeurotrashWarrior · 15/04/2020 12:10

I've been wondering about this.

For example, if you're pregnant it would be very stressful to go back. I had a slapped cheek issue and it was more the stress of knowing that you had no idea if a child had it and was asymptomatic. I can't see pregnant women going back but then there's an effective end to pregnancy and then they're on maternity leave.

I flip between thinking the virus would be no worse than any other I get with asthma, and so feeling quite confident, and being quite scared.

I think the thing is it's not about personal situations unless you're in the shield group.The whole point was to ease strain on the nhs. We have no vaccine currently, no idea when, and may have to take out chances. Worst case scenario is that a vaccine takes more than two years.

I have wondered if there'll be more pupils in for a while and then further closures over winter. The other issue is that with staff self isolating with any coughs for 2 weeks, staffing can be challenging.

Antibody tests and more testing will what makes the biggest difference.

Please
or

Fallulah · 15/04/2020 12:33

I have a high BMI which I know is entirely my fault and I am working on, but I’m getting increasingly worried about it. I also have elderly parents and grandparents who are relying on me to take them their shopping as delivery slots are non existent and I don’t want to pass anything to them. I was in school before Easter but have had these two weeks ‘off’ and am really worried about being told I have to go back. I just don’t want that level of risk.

Please
or

Haplap · 16/04/2020 22:03

Ignore the media hype and speculation. It is very unlikely schools can reopen before September. They haven't got a handle on things yet and certainly haven't got plans ready for how to reopen safely. They'll need the summer to think something up. With teacher recruitment as poor as it is, they'll have to put something in place to protect shielding teachers. You can't be expected to go wandering back into classroom before a vaccine is in place. This will be an opportunity for the unions to really step up and protect their members.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.