Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Children not on the key worker/vulnerable list in school

crazycatgal · 26/03/2020 15:36

I've found out from a colleague that has been in this week that children not on the key worker/vulnerable list are now in school.

Two of the children have parents at home (not working) who don't deal with their behaviour well.

Another one has working parents but they aren't key workers.

Should I raise this? I'm annoyed that we're being put at risk to look after children who shouldn't be in.

OP's posts:
Please
or

CheriLittlebottom · 26/03/2020 15:37

I would want to, but who would you raise it with?

Please
or

crazycatgal · 26/03/2020 15:38

@CheriLittlebottom The head? They must have liaised with the parents and told them this is OK?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Purpleclownsuit · 26/03/2020 15:39

Perhaps something has happened with the parents and someone has made the decision that the children will be better off in school. Some children are going to come on the radar that weren’t before.

Please
or

TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince · 26/03/2020 15:44

I’d raise it.

I’ve just come in from a school and done full decontamination. Shower, washed clothes, wiped down all sides, handles etc Put all stuff in my bag and my bag outside to degrade in the sun.

The less the better imo

Please
or

JoyceDivision · 26/03/2020 15:45

Are they classed as vulnerable or on a EHCP? Has the school invited them in for concerns they have re coping / structure the staff feel is in the child's best interests long term for them to.intetvene with offer if additional care?

Please
or

BikeRunSki · 26/03/2020 15:46

Children who have social care involvement are also on the “key worker” list.

Please
or

crazycatgal · 26/03/2020 15:54

No the aren't vulnerable and they don't receive social care - all children in that position were put on a list that we were given.

OP's posts:
Please
or

crazycatgal · 26/03/2020 15:59

And no neither child has an EHCP.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Purpleclownsuit · 26/03/2020 16:01

Children aren’t vulnerable... until they are. Perhaps a socially isolating virus and it’s effects has flagged something up that you aren’t privy to?

Please
or

NothingIsWrong · 26/03/2020 16:05

Children will become vulnerable as it becomes apparent that their parents aren't coping. Maybe an assessment has been made that means these children are better in school to help the parents cope and avoid SS involvement in the short term? The list of vulnerable children inevitably will be fluid as will that of keyworkers as people change jobs or are redeployed

Please
or

InspectorAlleyn · 26/03/2020 19:56

We have very few children in at the moment. I expect that we will have more as time goes by and parents struggle to cope/DV incidents increase Sad.

Please
or

cabbageking · 26/03/2020 21:35

They may have welfare or safe guarding concerns. They may even be young carers.

Please
or

Luunaa · 26/03/2020 22:14

Exercise caution here, OP. I say this as a DSL- there are very often major safeguarding decisions behind the scenes that nobody expect myself and the head are aware of.

I think it's ok to question this, carefully, without being accusatory. Just be prepared for an answer you don't like.

Please
or

crazycatgal · 26/03/2020 22:19

@Luunaa I was simply going to ask why they've been added to the children in school, obviously if they are now classed as key worker children or vulnerable then they are entitled to be there.

Without saying how, I do know the family of 2 of the children that are now in school (without working parents) and mum was moaning last week about having the kids at home with no routine.

I will just ask and see what I am told.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.