Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What to actually teach Y11 to 13 Now!

Biensur40 · 19/03/2020 02:57

Think the govt have made absolutely the right decision tonight but have woken up at 2am with so many thoughts...I appreciate this is absolutely minor in the scheme of things and we will discuss this today but what are we going to actually teach exam groups/give them to do at home when they know they won't be sitting exams this academic year?!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Biensur40 · 19/03/2020 03:00

Will have around 5 more lessons with Y11 -13 today and tomorrow, have given them revision booklets/exam papers for home learning! What will they now do between now and the summer? If you are a parent of an exam group teen, how have they reacted

OP's posts:
Please
or

northernlittledonkey · 19/03/2020 03:02

My ds y11 was delighted, he feels that predicted grades are a fair assessment of his learning. But he’s unsure of what to do for the next 6 months!

Please
or

northernlittledonkey · 19/03/2020 03:04

We’re going to encourage him to look at the a level syllabus for his chosen subjects & do some wider reading around those . Eh documentaries, films etc

Please
or

Biensur40 · 19/03/2020 03:14

Sounds good, northernlittledonkey. Your teen sounds lovely! But do you think they will purely use PGs? I think it might be a combination of target grades, predicted grades and statistical analysis of previous exam results at the school but who knows yet? Hence why I am typing this at 3am....? I just hope the children get what they really deserve.

OP's posts:
Please
or

sashh · 19/03/2020 03:46

Are your schools teaching BTECs as well as GCSEs / A Levels? Lots of BTEC units could be done from home and marked, OK moderation wouldn't happen for a while but it would give them a chance to get a qualification, or work towards one.

Obviously there are other coursework based subjects.

I've taught health and social care, there are units on human anatomy and physiology that would link to PE and some biology. Sociology and psychology obviously link to those A Levels.

From other subjects there are units on IT / computing/arts/drama - might be tricky to do but if there is something on writing it could work.

BTEC/CTEC wiss issue certificates for individual units.

Obviously there is the problem of getting students registered and costs. But the actual syllabus is online.

Please
or

MitziK · 19/03/2020 07:33

Things that are useful, interesting, challenging, enjoyable and, most importantly - not ignored/devalued by exam boards or the government.

Want to learn about mythical beasts and have the class mostly drawing pictures? Do it. Want to spend lessons where students can present various social media claims and you use their skills in assessing the reliability of sources in history to dispel rumour, myth and conspiracies? Do it. Want to have a lesson where students have a chance to say (or submit paragraphs) admitting their greatest fears or things they wanted to say but never could? Do it. Have sessions on gardening/growing vegetable cuttings. Art classes on pretty landscapes/creating art without vast amounts of resources. Onion skin dyes, beetroot juice, using small amounts of spices to create 'paint'. Music classes where the style of music is Skiffle - tins as drums, tables as drums, makeshift instruments. Reading 'nice' poems together online - excerpts from books that are gentle and soothing; from their childhood without analysing structure, a class storytime.

Make it about what's good, what's fun, what's not in a mark scheme or can be assessed.

Art, music, English, drama, all for the joy of it, not because it demonstrates a key competency or is a useful illustration of particular concepts or techniques. Creativity, love, pleasure, comfort, connection. Just being there, together.

Humans have always done these things because they give us joy, comfort, a feeling of connection, community and reassurance. Encourage them to not see beautiful works as things that are to be stripped apart into their individual syllables and vowel sounds, brush strokes or numbers, but for the emotions, the feelings they have.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.