Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Teaching/tutoring from home, could this be a plan?

ArtOfNose · 18/03/2020 17:48

I'm a supply teacher so as of Friday I will be earning nothing. I'm secondary trained.

I can claim job seeker based Universal Credit but that's about £75 a week.

Earlier in the year, before the Coronavirus I had been thinking about setting up as a childminder as my eldest DD is trying for a baby and I wanted to be able to help out with child care as well as look after other children too.

Now that I'm going to be jobless I was thinking about posting on my local Facebook group offering teaching, tutoring and childcare for over 9s. I realise that parents won't usually pay for care for their 9+ aged children but is it worth seeing if there is any interest?

I would buy public liability insurance, check our house insurance and register as a limited company.

Is this a bad idea?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cat0115 · 18/03/2020 18:21

Social distancing will make this very hard. If people carry on ignoring the very clear advice to stay at home we will be locked down. How about dog walking for the elderly? You can do this with almost no contact if you are a bit creative. Or tutor on line? I'm skyping my tutees. Tho now BoJo has announced no exams many y11s will lose motivation for exam texts... But it could be an exciting time to design new learning?

Please
or

ArtOfNose · 18/03/2020 18:50

Skyping is a good idea.
Do you think I could advertise that?

You're right of course about social distancing but I'm not sure in reality all parents will keep their children - particularly the older children I'm talking about - socially isolated indefinitely.

Some people do still have to go to work, when my DCs were younger I would have been confident to leave them when they were 13 + but 9 year olds? Not so much and that's what I was thinking of.

It's only me & DH who live here now so we wouldn't be passing on child germs, neither of us are in vulnerable groups. We would probably be at greater risk from the students coming to us than they would from coming here!

OP's posts:
Please
or

1066vegan · 18/03/2020 19:22

The problem with doing something from home is that sone of your tutees could be carriers but not have symptoms. They could pass the virus to you, you could spread it to other tutees and they in turn pass it on to their contacts.

Virtual tutoring sounds a better bet. A lot of parents might prefer it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.