Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Suitable comfy shoes for TA

BercowsFlyingFlamingo · 25/01/2020 10:14

Hi, I'm starting work as a TA at a primary school and was hoping for some recommendations for comfy shoes. I live in trainers or boots but will need "proper" shoes. I have narrow feet, skinny ankles and a knackered back and knees and need something fairly flat so as not to aggravate my joints 😩
I love Mary Jane style shoes and find slip on ones fall off. I have to constantly curl my toes to keep them on. I'll be walking the mile+ to the school so they need to be all round practical yet stylish and comfy.
Thank you.

OP's posts:
Please
or

mangomama91 · 25/01/2020 10:25

I live in my Vans and wear them to work as lsa as well, and some teachers I work with wear them too

Please
or

CommanderShepard · 25/01/2020 14:46

I'm a TA and I wear Doc Martens. I have a pair of classic 8-holes and shoes from the school range (I have small feet so buy from the children's section).

Please
or

fjreflycaramel · 25/01/2020 14:50

I'm not a TA but I am on my feet all day at work, I always wear Doc Marten shoes.

Please
or

trinity0097 · 25/01/2020 14:53

You can change your shoes when you get there.

I am a teacher. I live in these spring, autumn and winter at school!
www.clarks.co.uk/c/Un-Loop/p/20312837
Ultra comfy, and I will only go on a school trip if I wear these!

Please
or

Pinkyyy · 25/01/2020 14:54

Smart trainers (the plain leather type with no big logos on) or boots will be absolutely fine OP. If you want to wear shoes in the summer when it's warmer then you could buy the mary-jane style ones then.

Please
or

Gemma2019 · 25/01/2020 15:01

You can buy Skechers Mary Jane's - they are so comfortable and nearly as good as wearing trainers.

Please
or

lonelyonee · 25/01/2020 15:09

Matalan do a range of super comfy shoes called sole flex. May be a bit pricey but last AGES and are amazing. In my job I'm on my feet a lot and they have really helped. Link below for ease...

www.matalan.co.uk/products/search?q=soleflex

Please
or

ArtieFufkinPolymerRecords · 26/01/2020 11:16

Have you been told you have to wear 'proper' shoes? I can't imagine a primary school where you can't even wear boots. Luckily at my school staff can wear whatever they like on their feet and many wear trainers.

Please
or

BercowsFlyingFlamingo · 26/01/2020 12:30

Lots wear boots but I'd like some shoes too as my feet get too hot in boots.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Emmelina · 26/01/2020 13:43

Clarks unloop are fab, and Skechers all have memory foam and have plenty in a smart-casual style.

Please
or

Chochito · 26/01/2020 17:16

Skechers, definitely

Please
or

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies · 26/01/2020 17:19

My school has a policy of no trainers. I presume we’re not unique.

Fit-flop shoes, OP?

Please
or

Emmelina · 26/01/2020 18:05

Yes, no trainers here unless your class has PE that day. Though I tend to stick to smart casual the rest of the time. Which basically equates to no jeans/hoodies/trainers/open shoes. Generally day to day I wear a tunic (long top) over slim trousers and either the Clarks (black, leather. Smart.) or Skechers loafers. (Brown suede, more casual and relaxed but not trainers still. Wayfarer rings a bell but I’ve had them ages so not certain!).
I wouldn’t bother even attempting heels unless you like pain.

Please
or

123fushia · 26/01/2020 19:17

I have these in black, navy and burgundy. They are comfy lace ups which look good with dresses, skirts and opaque tights.
www.schuh.co.uk/womens/red-or-dead-rosie-ii-navy-flat-shoes/1373655820/

Please
or

MitziK · 27/01/2020 18:46

Teaching staff (below SLT, who have a tendency to wear killer stilettos or little pumps because they spend lots of time being Busy and Important away from kids ) almost universally wear Clarks laceups - or proper walking boots if they've already succumbed to the dodgy feet/back.

They also usually keep a pair of 'nice' flat shoes for Parents' Evenings/events in their desks. They go nicely with the blazer that rarely leaves the back of the office door and the stash of lipgloss, mascara and makeup in the bottom drawer for the emergency I Feel Like Crap and We Aren't Going To Be Out of Here Before 8 evenings (although, as a TA, you're less likely to be coerced asked to do those).

Having those things to hand always seems to go down well with the people who you hear clip clopping down the corridor.

Please
or

lilgreen · 27/01/2020 18:50

Depends on your school’s dress code. Ours is smart so no Vans or trainers.I wear a chunky low heeled ankle boot with tights and dresses/skirts and brogue styles with trousers.

Please
or

wasgoingmadinthecountry · 29/01/2020 22:06

I couldn't bring myself to wear those no loop shoes. Honestly. They are about the ugliest things I've ever seen. I wear boots, ankle boots or patent loafers in winter, converse or trainers for PE. Heels sometimes, just to prove I'm still alive. Not too often though!! Teaching takes enough of your life away without the need for ugly shoes.

Am nearly 56 so not likely to change now.

Please
or

mumofpickles · 31/01/2020 06:52

I love my brogues my latest are from m& s comfort range previously I got some from Clarks - fit flops are really comfortable and currently have a sale online.

Please
or

jmh740 · 31/01/2020 22:12

I wear the un loops too,we're only allowed trainers on P.E days and no flip flops ever

Please
or

Deadheadstickeronacadillac · 01/02/2020 19:27

Ditto pp regarding Skechers Mary Janes- picked up two new pairs in the outlet store last week to replace my last ones. Black leather and go with anything.
Have worn them to work as a teacher since having hip replacement and they have been fab (am only 39 so not completely over the hill!)

Please
or

MamasAndPapas · 08/02/2020 16:04

I wear heels, regardless of knackered back, as I LOVE shoes. :-)

Please
or

Be1atrix · 09/02/2020 12:55

Skechers all the way.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.