Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Switching from primary to secondary...possible?

PeerFeedback · 20/01/2020 18:05

Has anyone done this? Just toying with the idea. I have a 2:1 in History and a Primary PGCE. Are there any courses or anything I could do to improve my chances or is it just a case of applying for jobs as and when they appear & hoping for the best?

OP's posts:
Please
or

phlebasconsidered · 20/01/2020 18:29

History teachers are not in the main in demand - the pgce courses are usually oversubscribed and jobs fill up. It's often a case of "dead mens boots".

Also be prepared to teach another subject at gcse or A Level. I'd take a good look at the A Level exam moderation examples and see if you are prepared to teach to that.

I went the other way , from secondary to primary after 10 years. Neither is better, imo. They're both flat out and in need of an overhaul! Why do you want to change? Believe me, cramming unwanted GCSE info into a 16 year olds head is no more wonderful than cramming SATS info in.

Please
or

PeerFeedback · 20/01/2020 18:37

No you could be right. It's more I've done a bit of reading lately & its reignited my interest a bit and got me thinking , currently in y6 and SATS are boring me to death but they really enjoy the (limited) history I do with them..

OP's posts:
Please
or

PeerFeedback · 20/01/2020 18:40

Looking at A level exam moderation is a good idea might have a little nose no idea even what the syllabus is. My other interest is RE Grin not really a shortage subject either sadly !!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

CalleighDoodle · 20/01/2020 18:40

If you had a maths or physics degree id say go for it. Even some technologies. But history? Probably not much out there. Just start applying.

Please
or

drspouse · 20/01/2020 19:00

Could you get involved in history education some other way? Maybe through a local history group or museum doing talks to schools or children and advising on curriculum/creating resources when you have more volunteer experience?
My dad had a day job but was a really experienced and respected amateur historian who led coach tours etc, on the side. (He's retired from his day job but still writes books on his hobby!)

Please
or

PeerFeedback · 21/01/2020 17:00

I really like those ideas drspouse thank you will look into it.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.