Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Leaving Primary teaching for supply.

OnlyToWin · 08/01/2020 08:10

Hi, I am only part time (primary) but find that I do more than my hours dictate. Also the responsibility of meetings, parent consultations and results does not seem to be less. I am wondering if resigning my job and working for an agency would be better. Does anyone have any experience of this please? Can you pick and choose your days? Is the work regular? Can 2 days per week be guaranteed? Thanks very much - any advice welcome! Crown Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

ginlover19 · 08/01/2020 13:26

Agency pay isn't great though it depends where you are in the country. Going direct with schools would allow you to earn more money and pay into your pension.

You can say to the agency you only want to work 2 days but there's no guarantee of there being work. There will be periods where there is no work such as the beginning of September or at least will be very quiet.

You have to think about the pros and cons. Can you survive without your pay if there is no work? At least in a contracted position you have guaranteed money coming in.

Please
or

ginlover19 · 08/01/2020 13:28

Forgot to say: supply is great when there is work. You can go in, teach and then go home and forgot about everything. But behaviour isn't always great. Also you won't be paid for summer hols or anything like that.

Please
or

Knittedfairies · 08/01/2020 13:32

I second going directly to schools and not through an agency. I doubt anyone would guarantee work; schools try not to use supply teachers if they can juggle staff around to cover.

Please
or

OnlyToWin · 08/01/2020 19:19

Thanks for the advice. I am aware lots of schools (mainly academies) are using agencies more and more now, as they are cheaper than paying direct, so going to schools direct might be difficult.

It is a tough decision. I am going to think it over this term and see how I feel. To be honest my school is okay - some problems but nothing like other things you read on here. I suppose I could be replacing one set of stress for another! I have a dream of being able to walk in and walk out and not have the parent on the phone or at the door, but the reality might be very different.

Thanks again. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

OP's posts:
Please
or

lovenotwar149 · 09/01/2020 11:06

Hi, I have been supply teaching since 2013. Its both good and bad in my opinion. For me, the pros are more and that's why I won't get a permanent position in a sch. I love the free head space I get from it. Walking away at the end of the day and feeling free. Yes there are times in the year when you wont get any work. I spend those days running, reading and making cards! Pros and cons! Like anything! Hope helpful :)

Please
or

lovenotwar149 · 09/01/2020 11:08

P.S. Have a look at Airsupply...they are an app rather than an agency...better rates of pay.

Please
or

OnlyToWin · 09/01/2020 12:12

Thanks 😊

OP's posts:
Please
or

fedup21 · 13/01/2020 12:51

Have a look at the Facebook supply teacher group and ask there

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.