Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

New job in a school

CleverQuacks · 04/01/2020 18:05

In two weeks time I start my new job in a primary school. I am not a teacher, I will be the lead for safeguarding. Until now I have been working in social care so I know a lot about safeguarding and I am not concerned about that aspect of the job. However I have never worked in a school before! So any tips for fitting well into the school environment? Particularly as I wont be teaching staff so may be the “odd one out”. What are the challenges related to working in a school?

OP's posts:
Please
or

2of50BookChallenge2020done · 04/01/2020 18:38

I currently work in a SEN school (but am hoping to move across to mainstream). Just smile and be friendly! We see our Safeguarding lead around all the time. She's just another human. No big deal.
I am interested to chat to you more about the safeguarding aspect as I'm considering taking the role of safeguarding officer on at my DCs rugby club. I haven't managed to speak with the outgoing officer in the Christmas craziness yet though, so I'd be interested to know what it entails.

Please
or

cabbageking · 04/01/2020 20:27

Do you mean the DSL? I think you just ensure staff know who you are and that you are approachable.

Please
or

fedup21 · 05/01/2020 01:31

Particularly as I wont be teaching staff so may be the “odd one out”.

There will be loads of other support staff-I wouldn’t worry about that. Just be approachable and friendly.

Please
or

viques · 07/01/2020 13:45

I am not sure what your role entails as I have only ever met school staf with responsibility for safe guarding so am not sure if you will be more office based or whether you will be actively involved in working with children on safeguarding issues like internet safety etc etc. If the former I would consider doing things around the school that make you more visible to the children, eg regularly going in the playground at break time, either as someone on duty or as an extra body, is there a breakfast club where you could work one morning a week, will you be in the playground at drop off and collection. Will you have a room to work from or be sharing space with other people, if sharing how will you ensure condifentiality . How will you be introduced to the children/parents? How will you be addressed? Sorry, you have probably sorted all these issues out, but I was intrigued by the ins and outs of the role, it sounds interesting.

Please
or

Tableclothing · 07/01/2020 13:50

Depending on the school there may or may not be a staffroom as such. If there is, there may be a mad chair hierarchy to be aware of. It is more likely than not that a) some staff will have their own mugs that it is not worth your life to borrow b) if you leave it unsupervised, some staff will help themselves to your mug and you will only find it seven months later in their classroom underneath some unmarked coursework with a solid half inch of coffee mould in the bottom.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.