Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

PGCE or QTS? Teacher training

ThereWillBeAdequateFood · 19/03/2019 13:50

I don’t know if anyone can help me but I will be training as a teacher in September.

The course I would like to choose does a QTS (it’s cheaper than the PGCE).

Will I be held back at all applying for future jobs with “only” QTS status or does not not matter?

OP's posts:
Please
or

QueenofCBA · 19/03/2019 14:53

As long as you have a pulse the magic words “I can teach maths” will open all doors.

Honestly, if you have a solid degree I don’t think schools care much about PGCE or QTS.

Please
or

FionnaMAC · 19/03/2019 15:17

Am I being thick? I thought QTS meant Qualified Teacher Status, which would be what you are given at the end of any teaching course (PGCE, SKIT, whatever).

That's why you're an NQT for your first year - a Newly Qualified Teacher.

So everyone applying for a teaching job straight from a course will have QTS.

Please
or

TheFallenMadonna · 19/03/2019 15:22

Have you got a place? As the previous posters have said, QTS is Qualified Teacher Status, and you get it at the end of your training programme, whatever that is. I have QTS from my PGCE, my colleague trained through a SCITT and has QTS, and another was an unqualified teacher and got QTS by the Assessment Only route, because she had lots of teaching experience and a current teaching role.

Please
or

ThereWillBeAdequateFood · 19/03/2019 15:45

Thanks for the replies.

I’ve been offered 3 places. 3 SCITTs and one school direct (need to check that one).

Anyway some places offer a PGCE (£9K) and some offer a QTS (£6K). So I was just wondering if there was any benefit to a PGCE?

OP's posts:
Please
or

BobbinThreadbare123 · 19/03/2019 15:50

Courses with QTS at the end are what you call 'assessment only' routes. You have to have a degree to do them, plus substantial school experience ie ideal for a TA who has a degree to gain teacher status and start teaching, or for UQ teachers in academies etc. It is not a qualification, as such. The PGCE (via uni or SCITT) is an internationally recognised Master's level qualification. Quite different, really.

Please
or

ThereWillBeAdequateFood · 19/03/2019 17:30

Thanks Bobbin it’s a SCITT I’m looking to do (would be QTS).

I have a degree but definitely don’t have considerable school experience. It sounds like a QTS would be less useful if I wanted to teach abroad.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BobbinThreadbare123 · 19/03/2019 17:33

Yes, you ought to seriously consider the PGCE for any teaching abroad. Increasingly the SCITTs are devolving from universities and thus not offering a full PGCE. I'm not sure this is a good idea but we'll see!

Please
or

Lwmommy · 19/03/2019 17:34

To teach in a state school in England you must have QTS.

Here I googled QTS and found this whole website about getting into teaching

getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpsLkBRDpARIsAKoYI8yO_7SkipimlVttxzngWyPh8vzxDG_uEyZdDjNP1AovOL413OBtzPMaAl0pEALw_wcB

Please
or

monkeysox · 19/03/2019 17:42

Pgce gives you credits towards a masters.
Qts without pgce may stop you teaching abroad. I have a friend who taught abroad and we did gtp to get out Qts

Please
or

sd249 · 19/03/2019 18:44

The only difference that a PGCE will make is if you want to teach abroad as other posters have said. In the UK it won't make any difference to you.

Please
or

Eemamc · 20/03/2019 12:50

I have done a SCITT and you don’t get a PGCE from it, just your QTS, which is all I needed tbh. I also was able to do a salaried SCITT... wouldn’t have been able to do it otherwise!

Please
or

BobbinThreadbare123 · 20/03/2019 14:15

Eemamc you may not have got PGCE from your SCITT, but there are SCITT providers who do offer it. Your point about the salaried route is a good one; anyone who has already gone along life's path a little would have to think hard about dropping a salary if they have a mortgage!

Please
or

TheFallenMadonna · 20/03/2019 17:59

Lot of subjects have bursaries for PGCEs which are more than a NQT salary.

Please
or

Phineyj · 20/03/2019 22:12

You do not have to have QTS to teach, although obviously it's preferred. There is an 'unqualified payscale'.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.