Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Emergency Ofsted inspection

ghislaine · 14/02/2019 23:40

I’m not a teacher, but this seems the best place for my question. Grateful for any insight or a re-direction.

A local independent primary was recently subject to an emergency inspection. Less than a month later, the head is no longer there.

I have done some reading around but I was looking for insight into how common/rare these sorts of inspections are and how high is the threshold needed to trigger one. Does anyone work for Ofsted or the DoE and in a position to help give me some context to this? The inspection was conducted to check compliance with the independent schools standards.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Piggywaspushed · 15/02/2019 09:30

A 'no notice' / emergency inspection would normally be triggered by safeguarding concerns.

Please
or

ghislaine · 15/02/2019 12:02

Yes, that seems clear from the report (although it's very non-specific). I was just wondering if the DfE commissions these sorts of inspections fairly often or if they have to have a lot of evidence and/or serious concerns to do that.

OP's posts:
Please
or

txtbreaker · 17/02/2019 21:45

SEN school I worked at had one and it was warranted. Parent triggered it. There was all sorts going on but duly covered up for ofsted. The head survived for another year and then was booted out. Such a farce all of it. Safeguarding issues Continued.

Please
or

Birdsfoottrefoil · 22/02/2019 22:45

I know of one, a few years ago now. Safeguarding again. Inspectors went in and then shut the school (I think it took a couple of days to revoke the license but the school was shut meantime). The ownership/management (privately owned school) was such that they couldn’t see it could be improved. Council had to open a temporary primary school for a few months in an old building to cope with all the kids until they could be placed.

Please
or

Birdsfoottrefoil · 22/02/2019 22:54

I remember another shortly after that, again safeguarding. That school got a poor report with lots of recommendations. The school was also in a bad way financially so while the inspectors didn’t close them they realised it would prevent them attracting new students so was the final nail in the coffin financially and they closed in the middle of term a couple of weeks later.

A recent inspection of New School at Butterstone (a SEN school) also lead to its closure. Again not the inspection itself but a company lined up to buy it pulled out.

Please
or

Comefromaway · 02/03/2019 00:15

My dd’s School had one but it was triggered by a malicious complaint from a parent and they passed with flying colours.

An independent performing arts school not long ago had one and were ordered to improve with a deadline for an action plan. A senior staff member is now on sabbatical prior to retiring next year which seems co-incidental.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.