Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How much for supply in Swansea?

WontBeUsingPassMyParcelAgain · 22/01/2019 09:45

I have an interview with a supply agency in Swansea today and have been told they will only give me £80 a day. In my previous area, I did supply directly through the school and brought home more than double that for the same job. Do schools have to use an agency in Swansea and do some agencies pay more than others? Any experiences gratefully received.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ohreallyohreallyoh · 22/01/2019 09:49

I am not local to Swansea but as seasoned supply, I would say you need to register with a good number of agencies (I have 6) to get the best deals. Once agencies know you are reliable, they will pay more for you because they know they will make money off you and they won't get any complaints.

Given budget constraints, schools are trying very hard to reduce their supply costs. Primary schools try to cover known absence with HLTAs (or even TAs) and secondary use the 'cover supervisor' route to keep costs down. This results in very poor rates of daily pay for supply teachers. If you are willing to take on long term, rates are better, but the requirements of planning and marking and meetings come in. Depends on why you work on supply, I guess!

Please
or

WontBeUsingPassMyParcelAgain · 22/01/2019 22:53

Thanks Ohreally. I definitely don't want to do planning and meetings. I have taken your advice and contacted another agency today too.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Temporaryanonymity · 22/01/2019 22:57

It's going to be £120 from April. long story short, schools were not complying with the contract negotiated with the agencies. A local politician raised it with the procurement team who sorted the terms and it is supposed to change from April.

Please
or

WontBeUsingPassMyParcelAgain · 23/01/2019 23:32

Thanks. The agency said that change will be in September.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.