Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Working in the school office?

ColdCrumpetsAndButter · 20/11/2018 20:43

I've been invited for interview for an admin position at a primary.

I've never worked in a school and my only school office experience is as a parent.

Wondering if anyone can give me any advice on the great bits and the not so great bits of being in an admin role in a primary?

Thanks.

OP's posts:
Please
or

monkeysox · 20/11/2018 22:16

The pay will be shit.
Could be term time so nice to see your own dc.

Please
or

Carpetglasssofa · 20/11/2018 22:18

Dealing with parents

Please
or

awishes · 20/11/2018 22:22

Just don’t!
The pay is poor, you will never leave on time and you will have to deal with unhappy parents, vomit, blood, etc etc. Get a job term time elsewhere!

Please
or

nicebitofquiche · 20/11/2018 22:30

It's a good job. No 2 days are the same. You have a good laugh with most of the pupils. Be prepared for being shouted at by parents. Good luck.

Please
or

Goquietly · 20/11/2018 22:35

I’m in the same position op, (maybe it’s the same job!) But what other jobs are term time awishes?

Please
or

awishes · 20/11/2018 22:45

Some local authority
Some academy head office based
Are term time too

Please
or

HestiasHauntedHandbag · 20/11/2018 22:48

I’ve been job hunting for the past few months and have come across very few term-time-only jobs not based in schools.

Please
or

ScoobyGangMember · 21/11/2018 08:23

You can leave on time, but you have to start doing it from day one.

Please
or

Marcipex · 21/11/2018 08:29

I'm pretty sure ours lives there....

Please
or

BettyBoooooo · 21/11/2018 08:37

I absolutely love it! Very varied and interesting. Children are hilarious. Shared sense of purpose across the whole school. I do know people at other schools who hate it though and I think it very much depends on the school and the circumstances. Like most jobs really! It's true the money is shit. Most admin staff are very over qualified.

Please
or

JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimmi · 21/11/2018 08:40

In one school Im familiar with the office staff got the blame for everything! There was way more expected of them than they could do and things would slip too.

Angry and disgruntled parents at any latest policy the school has... (perhaps more at primary).

However must admit as an ex teacher Ive kind of fancied it sometimes!

Please
or

Nothisispatrick · 21/11/2018 08:49

Much much more expected of you than you’re paid to do, awful pay, awful parents, my school has no caretaker so kids sent to tell you that someone’s shat on the floor in the boys toilets (I’m not expected to clean it up, just ‘manage’ the situation until the cleaners come). So glad I’m on mat leave and won’t be going back, I’m basivslly school skivvy.

Please
or

ColdCrumpetsAndButter · 21/11/2018 09:59

My concern is that they might not employ me for fear of being over qualified or thinking I wouldn't be there long before looking elsewhere or moving on?

The role is part time and term time so would work around my own kids so no need for childcare costs which is a massive plus point.

OP's posts:
Please
or

nuttyknitter · 21/11/2018 10:08

It's what you make of it! I've worked with several school admin teams over the years and the ones who really enjoy it are the ones who really like children and who go out of their way to build warm relationships with families.

Please
or

JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimmi · 21/11/2018 10:22

All the ones I know of are v overqualified as theres such competition for term time jobs,!

Please
or

Nothisispatrick · 21/11/2018 13:58

I’m very overqualified for school office job. That’s fine but the way my school is managed doesn’t allow opportunity to use those skills or develop, so you may find it frustrating. But that could also just be my micro managing school business manager.

Please
or

Escolar · 21/11/2018 14:01

I don’t think they’ll be afraid of you being over qualified. IME schools are used to over qualified women applying for low paid TA roles because the hours fit well with their DC.

Good luck OP! My friend works in the school office and enjoys it.

Please
or

ScoobyGangMember · 21/11/2018 18:20

Never did so many graduates earn so little money than in pursuit of a part-time, term time job.

Please
or

Whatsthatbrightlght · 21/11/2018 18:20

The job is certainly varied and you don’t always accomplish what you want to in any given day. The pay is rubbish and as for leaving on time - that’s a distant memory these days! I will say though, that with the right team, it can be great fun.
Good luck with the interview op

Please
or

JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimmi · 21/11/2018 18:26

Scooby - too true, many many TAs are graduates on peanuts!

Im on even less currently but wanting part time..

Please
or

brisklady · 21/11/2018 23:05

I used to earn almost exactly five times more than I do now, before I had kids and took a school admin job. And my job now is considerably more stressful than the one I had then. The hours are certainly shorter, but I do still do a stupid amount of unpaid overtime. My boss appreciates all this, and is incredibly grateful, but she can't pay me any more or make the workload any less. And yes, when I tried to move jobs to a different and slightly less stressful school admin role a while back, they turned me down on the basis that I was overqualified. There is a lot in the media about the huge strain on teachers (which is totally true), but very little about the massive strain on admin staff.

Please
or

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou · 24/11/2018 21:57

I’m totally over qualified for my school office job but with an SEN DS I wanted the family friendly hours.

I LOVE my job! Our children are AMAZING. We have some lovely parents (and some truly awful parents).

The pay is awful (I don’t earn enough to pay tax and was a higher rate taxpayer pre children) but the hours are good.

I’ll say it again I LOVE IT!

Please
or

weebarra · 24/11/2018 22:08

I've worked with a lot of school admin staff - I'm a careers adviser so we have a lot of contact with them. The ones that last are lovely, professional, unflapable and hugely hardworking. As a mum of three, one with ASN, and also doing PTA stuff, I love the school office staff!

Please
or

NameChanger22 · 24/11/2018 22:14

Office/secretarial work is very underpaid almost everywhere now. Cleaning and working in a shop pays more. It's also quite complicated, mentally tiring and stressful. I'd advise everyone against it.

Please
or

HestiasHauntedHandbag · 24/11/2018 22:55

The issue with shop and hospitality work is that you are expected to work weekends / evenings as that’s when they are busiest. Many parents don’t want weekend work as that is family time. At least office work tends to be Mon - Fri.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.