Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How do I become a TA?

Nottheduchessoftransiyvaniaaaa · 28/10/2018 21:00

Just turned 40 and looking for a career change. I would really like to work in a secondary school as a TA but don’t have the first idea as to what I need to do.
I currently work 2 days a week so could volunteer on the other days to get experience but there are so many courses out there, I don’t want to commit to one that’ll end up being pointless. My education went as far as A Levels.
I live in Wales if that makes a difference. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lara53 · 29/10/2018 09:49

I would contact schools and volunteer and also ask the schools what is the qualification they look for in a TA - ie would you be looking at general TA course or perhaps one for behaviour or other SEN support role

Please
or

Nottheduchessoftransiyvaniaaaa · 29/10/2018 10:46

Thank you, I didn’t think about asking the school. Blush

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bacciferous · 29/10/2018 11:17

Many TA courses require a functional skills English qualification (I can't remember if there is a Maths requirement). I suggest contacting local colleges/adult learning centres

Please
or

curiousthing · 29/10/2018 11:28

When I went to college (13 years ago) to do childcare there was a few courses that would enable you to become a TA but I did cache (L2) then an NVQ (L3) as I wasn't sure what direction I wanted to go in and I'm now a TA in a primary school

Please
or

OuiOuiMonAmi · 29/10/2018 13:26

I don't know about Wales but you absolutely do not need a qualification to become a TA in many LEAs. Most of our TAs have no official qualification.

Please
or

Nottheduchessoftransiyvaniaaaa · 29/10/2018 13:57

Ah ok, so I can just volunteer myself and go from there (after the background check I’m guessing). Great. I’m excited. I’ve been in the same job for 17 years but it has changed so much and is not the job it once was. I’m looking forward to something a bit more challenging. My friends think it’s a midlife crisis...but no....that would be my motorbike Wink

OP's posts:
Please
or

rillette · 29/10/2018 16:48

All I would say is do a lot of research. Pay is often advertised as the full salary, but you are pro-rata'd to the 30-something weeks you work, and often only at 25 or 30 hours a week. Not trying to put you off but research as much as you can because it can be really hard to make sense of everything. I was a TA last year in England, no formal qualification although I have a degree.

Please
or

ElizabethMainwaring · 29/10/2018 16:52

It's not a great time to being going into TA - ing. The pay is awful, and from what I can see at the moment, schools are getting rid of TAs as much as they can.

Please
or

OuiOuiMonAmi · 29/10/2018 18:22

Yes, it's certainly not a job you do for the money.

Please
or

PotteringAlong · 29/10/2018 18:23

Most secondary schools are getting rid of TA’s; I wouldn’t assume there will be jobs to walk into.

Look at the TES website; it will give you an idea of what’s out there.

Please
or

MrsCobbit · 29/10/2018 18:33

I went from being a SAHM straight into the first TA role I applied for. I had no classroom experience and no TA qualifications. I had A Levels and the requisite C grade in Maths and English. I took my degree on a distance learning basis while I was a TA and now I’m an English NQT. It’s worthwhile gaining some classroom experience just to be sure it’s the right job for you and you are right for the job and then just apply. It’s a tough gig at secondary level but very rewarding and an ideal stepping stone to teacher training.

Please
or

Nottheduchessoftransiyvaniaaaa · 29/10/2018 20:02

Thanks everyone

OP's posts:
Please
or

Greentent · 31/10/2018 07:38

Have a look at school website job adverts as they may not advertise anywhere else. A few years ago, you would have been in a good position to get a job at the secondary school I work in but now we have gone down from 20+ to just 5 TAs. I started by being a lunchtime supervisor at a Junior School. I was swiftly recruited as a TA to cover staff off sick (including long term). This then gave me the experience to apply at secondary (which I prefer). Whilst in the job I took a TA qualification that I think was part funded by school. You don't really need this though.

I absolutely love my job - no two days are the same. The money is terrible but it's rewarding, stimulating, fun and downright crazy! Good Luck!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.