Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

6th Formers dropping out - frustrating!

EvilTwins · 10/09/2018 14:00

One of my about-to-be Year 13s has decided to drop out. We're more than half way through the course (BTEC Extended Diploma) and she had scored Distinctions in nearly every unit so far so was absolutely on for a great grade at the end of the course. She previously did a year of A Levels before dropping out of that so has spent two years in full time education with very little to show for it.

She hasn't really given me a reason - just decided that she doesn't want to do it any more Confused

I know there's no telling some teenagers, but I don't get it. Finding it difficult not to take it personally!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ginorchoc · 10/09/2018 14:02

Likely any problems at home? I dropped out of six form because I needed to move out of home urgently and needed a job.

Please
or

EvilTwins · 10/09/2018 14:03

No problems at home. I've had two long conversations with her parents and they are as bemused as I am. She'd started her UCAS form so this is out of the blue for them as much as it is for me.

OP's posts:
Please
or

worknamechanged · 10/09/2018 14:05

Self worth?

I dropped out of a levels because I believed I was rubbish. Wouldn’t have told anyone that though...

Please
or

EvilTwins · 10/09/2018 14:08

worknamechanged It's possible - she dropped out of 6th form the first time because of bullying, but I know categorically that that hasn't happened this year. Her grades are great and she was absolutely buzzing after the final performances (it's a performing arts course) of last term. In her email telling me she wasn't coming back for year 13 she said she'd "never been happier" in a school/college environment. Her two best friends on the course are also utterly confused by it.

She does have a new boyfriend, but she's a bright girl and I'm kind of hoping it's not all down to him - that seems way too simplistic for an 18 year old who was set on university.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.