Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

No computers to use in school

crazycatgal · 09/09/2018 09:07

I've just started a schools direct PGCE and will be in school pretty much full time. There are no computers for staff to use in planning time. Each class has a class laptop that the teacher is able to take home and use.

What am I supposed to work on in school?

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheFuckingAllanKey · 09/09/2018 09:10

Print off blanks and hand write them. Use your time to gather respurces. Scrounge classroom computers during PE.

Please
or

Shortandsweet20 · 09/09/2018 09:12

Are there any children's laptops you could use? I did that on placement with a supply log in. Couldn't take it home but was fine to work on in school.

Please
or

Changenameday · 09/09/2018 09:13

Have you got your own laptop you could take? At least then you’ll always have access

Please
or

JacNaylor · 09/09/2018 09:18

Borrow the laptop of the class that you're placed in? That's what our students do.

Please
or

Frlrlrubert · 09/09/2018 09:18

Ask them. Have they had a trainee before? If so what did they do? If not what do they suggest.

Have you got one you could take in, or a tablet you can get the right programs and a little keyboard for?

Please
or

ourkidmolly · 09/09/2018 09:20

Haven't you got your own laptop?

Please
or

Dermymc · 09/09/2018 09:26

Take your own laptop

Please
or

crazycatgal · 09/09/2018 09:31

I haven't been given a log in or anything and haven't been told how to use the school system.

I can't borrow the class laptop because there are already two teachers in my class so the laptop is already being shared. They have been given a laptop each to plan on and take home so that the class laptop is still in the class.

I have my own laptop but there is nowhere secure to store it in class. The only cupboard we have is the main resource cupboard that is always open. If it got lost or damaged then I couldn't afford to replace it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

noblegiraffe · 09/09/2018 13:10

Why would you need to store it in class? Won’t you be using it? All our student teachers bring in their own laptops as we’re short on computers in the office.

Maybe worth checking if it can be insured outside the home.

Please
or

Whynotnowbaby · 09/09/2018 13:16

If you have your own I’m not sure what the issue is, if you feel you need to leave it somewhere unattended put it in the staff room at those points. You should be given a school email address and access to any shares resources so speak to your mentor about that if they haven’t been given to you yet.

Please
or

crazycatgal · 09/09/2018 17:31

@noblegiraffe I need to store the laptop because I won't be on it unless it's ppa time and before/after school. There is a class laptop to use when teaching but it needs to stay in the classroom with whoever is currently teaching the class.

I don't mind taking in my own laptop if there is somewhere safe to store it but there doesn't seem to be. There's nowhere in the classroom and the staff room is tiny with no empty cupboards. The teachers all have their own laptops that have been provided by the school so just leave them in the open resource cupboard.

OP's posts:
Please
or

leccybill · 09/09/2018 17:36

Where do you put your handbag/manbag/coat? Put it there.

15 years of teaching in rough schools and I've never had a laptop/phone/anything of value pinched. The odd pen here and there and a KitKat once but that's about it.

Please
or

Tanaqui · 09/09/2018 17:37

You might be on dodgy ground using your own for GDPR- especially if you use it for emails. Check with your mentor?

Please
or

crazycatgal · 09/09/2018 17:43

@Tanaqui I didn't think of that, I will mention it, thank you 😬

OP's posts:
Please
or

noblegiraffe · 09/09/2018 17:48

No one has ever mentioned any GDPR issues with teachers doing work on their own laptops. The education system would fall apart if that were the case.

If you’re in the classroom teaching, what do you think will happen to your laptop if it’s in the classroom with you?

Please
or

crazycatgal · 09/09/2018 17:52

@noblegiraffe I'm not in the classroom teaching, I'm currently classroom hopping observing different classes and teachers. I'm more concerned about break times and after school if I'm in a meeting though. I don't think anyone in my class would intentionally touch anything of mine.

OP's posts:
Please
or

leccybill · 09/09/2018 17:57

Who do you think might take it? Schools are secure environments so I assume you're thinking a colleague? Or a pupil?
Either way, it's extremely unlikely.

If you're only observing right now, make handwritten notes.

Please
or

crazycatgal · 09/09/2018 18:06

I've just looked at the GDPR policy on our school website and it says that staff can't use personal laptops so it looks like I can't take it in anyway.

OP's posts:
Please
or

noblegiraffe · 09/09/2018 18:07

Then you’ll have to ask the school for a laptop, otherwise you won’t be able to do any work outside of school which isn’t going to work.

Please
or

leccybill · 09/09/2018 21:17

I'm still a little concerned that you are worried it would have been 'at risk' at breaktime. Again, who do you think might have taken it?

Please
or

crazycatgal · 09/09/2018 22:42

@leccybill I don't really know I've been there for less than a week so don't know the pupils throughout the school. The school is in a rough area and has a number of pupils with difficult backgrounds. I'd probably be worried about older children or parents who may be coming in at the end of the day.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ruddynorah · 09/09/2018 22:47

You need to ask your mentor. How can people on here know what arrangements your school has? You're going to need to be more assertive!

Please
or

leccybill · 09/09/2018 22:55

Don't know any school that let parents in unaccompanied at end of the day. I think you're a little paranoid!

Please
or

BunnyCarr · 09/09/2018 22:57

We have a similar set up at my new job, although I had to buy a school laptop myself.
I'm not loving it either and have already decided that I'm leaving, once my contract is up.

I don't know how they expect you to get any work done when you can't use your own laptop and there isn't one made available for you.
Some workplaces are hopeless.

Please
or

Katnisnevergreen · 09/09/2018 23:02

I have to say, welcome to the world of teaching. Not enough resources to go around and sometimes you just have to suck things up. I suggest using your own and carrying it around with you if you are that concerned.
It doesn’t bode well that you are this demanding of a school one week into your first placement

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.