Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Learning walk next week!

cruzrack · 21/06/2018 21:51

There's been talk we're having a learning walk next week. HOD and SLT member will come into classrooms and talk to students and look through books. AIBU to think this is a bit much as we near the end of term? Or do you think this is reasonable? Please let me know your honest thoughts.

OP's posts:
Please
or

noblegiraffe · 21/06/2018 22:00

Your SLT are contributing to the recruitment and retention crisis. What dickheads.

Please
or

RowenaDedalus · 21/06/2018 22:03

Ours do this daily. Sometimes I have 3 members of SLT in a lesson. I have an open door- I have nothing to hide- but I want to be left alone sometimes.

Please
or

PumpkinPie2016 · 21/06/2018 22:25

Not reasonable in my opinion!

Everyone is tired now and in some cases at an odd point in terms of what is being taught e.g. I am revising with some classes or doing some practical skills work with others as we have finished all of the content.

Surely now is not the time to be doing learning walks! What meaningful info is going to be gained ?

Please
or

2gorgeousboys · 21/06/2018 22:29

As a Chair of Governors I am doing a learning walk accompanied by a member of SLT next week. I am not bothered at all that teachers may be doing revision or even having fun. What i am interested in is that the teachers are in tune with the school’s culture and values, treating all of the students fairly and consistently and that books are marked in line with our approach and policies.

Please
or

noblegiraffe · 21/06/2018 22:38

Consider the stress and extra workload you are putting on teacher at a difficult point of the year. Look at the end of year argument thread if you want to know how teachers are feeling.

And then cancel the sodding learning walk.

Please
or

Piggywaspushed · 22/06/2018 07:04

So you aren't bothered about the actual teaching... just whether the books are marked 'properly'

What on earth has happened to education?? oat threads on marking and you will see how time consuming this marking is you want to see, and how very very pointless so much of it is. As CoG I hope you will reflect on whether there is too much marking : although as CoG , I would doubt your pedagogical expertise to even begin to opine on quality of marking : I was shocked when looking at headteacher application with governors how very little educational vocabulary they knew : and how much they wanted to reject applications because they didn't understand them.. Teachers ought to be able to take their foot off the pedal in the last few weeks. This is not meant to be governor bashing, as I am one - but it feels often like governors last priority is teacher wellbeing, which they should be championing.

Thankfully , in my school, the scheduled LW seems to have been forgotten about.

Please
or

Piggywaspushed · 22/06/2018 07:05

That is meant to say 'look at' :not 'oat'. Even my laptop is exhausted.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.