Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Job hopping every year!

user1483390742 · 02/05/2018 09:02

Since i returned to work 6 years ago, i have job hopped every year- maternity covers or one year contracts only. It suits me as i don't want to get bogged down in SLT nonsense, which inevitably happens if you stay in a school for any length of time. I have no interest in 'stepping up' or taking on extra responsibility. My home life is too hectic with 4 kids. Admittedly, my CV is getting quite long! Does it reflect badly that i don't want a permanent contract? Does it show what a lazy arse i really am? 😄

OP's posts:
Please
or

noblegiraffe · 02/05/2018 12:45

It sounds quite stressful to me to be moving schools every year and not having a chance to settle in properly. How is your pay?

I think it’s possible to have a permanent contract and just keep your head down and not ‘step up’ to anything.

Please
or

MaisyPops · 02/05/2018 16:46

One of my friends was ripped apart at an interview by someone who deemed them a liability because they'd had a string of 1 year and maternity contracts. She politely pointed out that if they felt that way why the hell bring her to interview.

Odd short contracts with reasons isn't probably an issue but schools I've worked in do seem to assume that lots of cover contracts is a sign that either schools don't want to keep you on (so is a slight on your teaching) or that you're a flight risk (so they may be hoping to make someone permanent should a post come up in a year and don't really want someone who likes to jump around).

Please
or

MaybeDoctor · 02/05/2018 17:01

I did it for a few years in order to accommodate a move and gain promotion, but it was stressful. I suspect it might have contributed to my eventual burnout.

But, if it works for you then why not?

Please
or

user1483390742 · 02/05/2018 18:06

Maisy- hmmmm food for thought there. Maybe i should look to settle down..

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lowdoorinthewal1 · 02/05/2018 18:16

I generally wouldn't select somebody for interview with a CV like that. I'm sure your reasons are good, but I take a long history of short term jobs as a bad omen.

Please
or

Piggywaspushed · 02/05/2018 21:02

Plenty of teachers hang around in one school like a bad smell for many years without somehow magically finding themselves transported to SLT you know OP!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.