Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

World Book Day - one child forgot

Wollstonecraft1 · 01/03/2018 22:09

I'm fairly new to a school as a midday supervisor so I'm not there very much but one of the children looks bedraggled and unkempt and always very hungry by lunchtime.

He was the only child not in costume in the whole school today and I felt so sorry for him. I don't know why his teacher didn't find him something to wear to make him less conspicuous.

Obviously I don't know the background, but I didn't get the impression it was through choice. I'm not sure why I'm posting really, just wanted to share and understand how to manage these situations in my very junior role.

OP's posts:
Please
or

FlibbertyGiblets · 01/03/2018 22:23

WBD notwithstanding, you've reported the very hungry situation to your safeguarding lead?

Please
or

BringOnTheScience · 01/03/2018 22:26

Log your concerns with the school's Designated Person. It could be a small piece in a bigger jigsaw picture.

Please
or

mummyhaschangedhername · 01/03/2018 22:26

Could there be an special needs? My eldest really struggled with dressing up at school for a long time.

I think it may be wise to ask the teacher or a member of the management team if you have concerns.

Please
or

crunchtime · 01/03/2018 22:28

Have you done safeguarding training? If you are concerned about a child then you need to do a note of concern and pass it to your designated safeguarding lead.

Please
or

fairypuff · 01/03/2018 22:30

Reaasuring to see that even in a "junior role" you are looking out for the wellbeing on each child. Please don't undermine your importance. You might be one of the only ppl looking out for this child. Definitely report hunger and bedraggled appearance to the child protection lead in the school.

Please
or

shouldwestayorshouldwego · 01/03/2018 22:31

Raise any concerns with the school but I have had dc refuse to dress up for 'world of the red nose christmas fair PTA fundraiser cyber awareness dress in red animal of your choice as long as it is a donkey' day before now. She was perfectly happy to go in school uniform, thought everyone else looked rediculous, particularly as they had to pay for the privilege of looking silly. If you have other concerns then discuss them with your supervisor. The school are probably already aware and monitoring but an extra set of eyes is useful! My child would have been most annoyed if a teacher had tried to put a costume on her.

Please
or

Longdistance · 01/03/2018 22:31

It could be a safeguarding issue. Of which your school will have a safeguarding officer who you can speak to if you have concerns. Every school has a safeguarding policy.
This should be only discussed with the safeguarding officer and no one else.

Please
or

Wollstonecraft1 · 01/03/2018 22:50

Thanks all, I will report it to the safeguarding lead and leave it with them.

OP's posts:
Please
or

GhoulWithADragonTattoo · 02/03/2018 12:06

That’s great that you’re reporting it. You are uniquely placed to spot the unusual level of hunger. Hopefully the school will raise with the parents.

Please
or

Passportto · 02/03/2018 12:17

Yes, you need to report all your concerns but you;re right, if his circumstance meant he didn't have a costume and he would have liked one, I would have expected the class teacher to have something he could wear.

At both the primaries I've worked at costumes would have been provided in this circumstance (so it's possible it was offered and refused) and in the case of one very neglected child work was done with him in the days leading up to WBD and other events to make sure he had something good to wear.

Please
or

Ginza · 02/03/2018 15:17

In this weather I might also be watching out for whether his clothing and footwear are adequate for the journey to/from school.

Please
or

cloudyweewee · 02/03/2018 15:31

How would a teacher be able to magic up a costume? Confused

Please
or

Passportto · 02/03/2018 15:37

Oh come on, there's all sorts of costumes in schools and primary school teachers are very resourceful. They just keep one or two that come out every year for those who don't have anything or get something from the dressing up box.

Please
or

greenlanes · 02/03/2018 15:41

please note you may not get any response or feedback from your safeguarding lead. Dont worry that they havent listened to you.

Please
or

Passportto · 02/03/2018 15:43

Is that good advice greenlanes?. I thought we had a duty to follow things up if we don't think the lead has dealt with them adequately. Although it is true that reporting it and getting "something" done about it are not the same thing.

Please
or

cloudyweewee · 02/03/2018 15:48

I'm a primary teacher and the only costumes we have are nativity costumes, which are stored in the school garage. Reception class would no doubt have some dressing up clothes but they'd only fit small kids!

Please
or

greenlanes · 02/03/2018 16:43

Passportto - My understanding was that the safeguarding lead couldnt feedback (based on need to know). I simply didnt want the OP to worry that she might not receive a reply or be kept updated. My "knowledge" only comes from training so if others have better information then really happy to be corrected.

Please
or

Wollstonecraft1 · 02/03/2018 17:01

Cloudy, there is a box in the after school club but you are right, they might be a bit small but even an accessory would have made him feel more included.

I mentioned it today and about the hunger and the safeguarding lead said it would be looked into. I suppose that is all I can do, along with making sure he gets generous portions. I have also given him a packet of wrapped crackers, wrapped cheese and a yoghurt quietly today to 'help me out' so I didn't have to tidy it all away. Figured that could be a snack later if he needs it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

cloudyweewee · 02/03/2018 21:18

That's a very kind thing to do. My sister works in a school kitchen and has been known to give extra portions to kids who need it!

Please
or

OneOfTheGrundys · 03/03/2018 20:37

I’d be concerned about the overall appearance and behaviour of the child and definitely report it. Not about wbd outfit though. Some children don’t like dressing up.

Please
or

Kangar00 · 03/03/2018 20:42

Everyone in the school is responsible for safeguarding whatever their role. Please pass on concerns to the safeguarding lead

Please
or

Butterymuffin · 03/03/2018 20:42

Thank you for looking out for this child. You're right to do so.

I get what people are saying about how some kids don't get on well with costumes, for various reasons - but it's that alongside the hunger etc that is telling. It signals potentially a child who isn't getting his needs looked out for.

I guess what you can also do is continue to keep an eye out for him, and be kind not only with food, but by being (as far as you're able) someone he might feel he could speak to and confide in if he needed to.

Please
or

MichonnesBBF · 03/03/2018 20:54

Greenlanes: You are right in that the safeguarding lead or senior managers would not feedback any action put in place where a safeguarding concern has been mentioned.

However I would expect a 'Cause for Concern' form to be completed, as this is the beginning of a paper trail that will be used in forming a bigger picture with outside agencies for example social services/Health visitor, as well as the school themselves.

This form is a requirement when any safeguarding concerns are noted.

WOLL: I am very surprised you were not asked to fill one in as what you describe really does warrant it.

My advice is to mention it a again and let them know you would prefer to have your concerns in writing. Action then will definitely be taken (although you may not find out any outcomes)

hope this helps

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.