Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Anyone work in a 'trauma informed/attachment aware' school?

ASauvignonADay · 20/01/2018 09:14

Trying to research online but not having much luck. Interested in what your behaviour policy looks like or how it changed. Eg. How is disruptive behaviour in lessons managed?

OP's posts:
Please
or

OverTheParapet · 20/01/2018 09:28

I used to work in a PRU that was a therapeutic community and behaviour policy etc was tailored to those with attachment disorders, SEN & EBD. Have a look at therapeutic schools/communities

Please
or

Hugepeppapigfan · 20/01/2018 18:43

Our policy is a ‘regular’ behaviour policy but it is applied differently to certain children for SEND or attachment/trauma needs.

Please
or

ASauvignonADay · 26/01/2018 21:19

@Hugepeppapigfan are staff accepting of this?
I feel like we aren't getting it quite right for these kids. Pastoral/SEN staff are 'on it' but struggling whole school. Is it a school culture thing?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hugepeppapigfan · 26/01/2018 21:34

Yes staff are on board. It’s a small-ish primary school.

Please
or

SeratoninIsMyFriend · 26/01/2018 21:43

Have you got a local authority virtual school that is involved with the looked after children? Ours offers all our LA schools attachment training. Also will do it for schools we place our LAC in in other areas. I am a social worker...

Please
or

ASauvignonADay · 26/01/2018 22:22

@SeratoninIsMyFriend yes we do, they've done training for pastoral/sen but I guess we need it whole school!

I'm lying in bed agonising over whether we've made the right decisions over certain really vulnerable kids. So hard when staff don't understand - then I wonder if I'm just making excuses for them!

OP's posts:
Please
or

ASauvignonADay · 26/01/2018 22:23

We're a mid size secondary. Good intentions but so much pressure from all angles, I just don't think we are quite there from this point of view.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Balfe · 26/01/2018 22:37

We've done some work on ACEs and attachment but we are struggling with the reality. The training was good at the initial part- recognising a child's trauma coming out in different ways etc- but it stopped abruptly at the point of actually putting anything helpful into place in the classroom.

We know our children well and certain children are given leeway over uniform, coming in late, are given breakfast etc. We've identified several triggers within our control and we're working on them.

Our problem is that 90% of these children erupt constantly into verbal abuse or violence and their triggers aren't within our control or they are simply part and parcel of daily life.

Please
or

tethersend · 29/01/2018 23:50

This conference may be useful for SLT.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.