Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

DBS question

Frazzled2207 · 01/01/2018 23:07

Hello - hoping someone can advise me, extensive googling has not helped thus far!

Will shortly be starting work working (self employed) with a number of schools providing an extra curricular activity. Obviously I need a DBS check. Thing is I have one from October from a voluntary position at my son's school.
The actual check is the same but is it at least in theory "not valid" because it has the name of my son's school on it (rather than my new employer)? Or possibly because it was for a voluntary position rather than for a paid one?
Seems ridiculous to have to pay for one when one was done so recently, but rules are rules so will follow them.
Am aware of the update service, and if I pay for the new one I will subscribe to this, but don't think I can for the one I already have (too late?)
thank you and Happy New Year

OP's posts:
Please
or

BackforGood · 01/01/2018 23:13

No, anyone that wants you to have a DBS, has to apply I'm afraid.

When we moved to DBS, from CRB, it was supposed to work that they would all be linked up, so you could 'port' your DBS number to the next role, and your new employer / voluntary organisation, could input the number of you current DBS, and get it 'linked' both to check you hadn't been convicted, and to log on as being linked to you, if ever the authorities needed to notify them of a future conviction. That was supposed to be the big difference between CRB and DBS, but it never came to fruition.

It - on the surface - seems so obvious. It is such a waste of resources for all the people that hold 2, 3, 4, or 5 DBS checks that they all have to be done separately. However, the Gvmnt have never made it work.

Please
or

user1479731162 · 01/01/2018 23:27

When you get the DBS certificate you have to apply for the update service within 30 days. If you do so, the DBS is transferable, but if you miss the 30 day deadline, it is not. If you work on a voluntary basis the up date service is free. It is up to you to apply for the update service - the organisation cannot do that for you.

Please
or

ohreallyohreallyoh · 02/01/2018 01:22

I am pretty sure the update needs to be applied for within 14 days, not 30. It is frustrating. I work supply and now have a certificate which one of my agencies did for me and I put it on the update. There is no certificate to say ‘you are on the update service’. Some schools can be difficult about the certificate I have being in the name of a different agency but I have not yet lost work over it (touched wood!)

Please
or

TheDrsDocMartens · 02/01/2018 02:38

Yes apply for the update service.
I have had problems with agencies questioning the date on my certificate though and having to talk them through how to check online Hmm

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 02/01/2018 08:05

Thanks all.
So assuming i am too late for the update service- I need to pay up again? (And sort the update service)
Sigh

OP's posts:
Please
or

Heratnumber7 · 02/01/2018 08:08

You don't pay for your own DBS.

Any and each organisation that employs you needs to request a check is run on you.

It only takes a few days if you have a recent, concurrent DBS.

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 02/01/2018 09:21

Thanks I will be self employed working with several schools so I will need to pay myself

OP's posts:
Please
or

ohreallyohreallyoh · 02/01/2018 09:47

You don't pay for your own DBS

You do with supply agencies!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.