Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Which scenario is better for my career?
5

workcollegedilema · 05/09/2017 11:15

Hi, not to be impatient but needing fast advice, its all happening rather quick this week! (I may post this in two places for more replies.)

Qualified L3 teaching assistant but last position was a temporary contract which was not kept on due to budget cuts (cheers government), left at Easter.

I've struggled to find another position so in the meantime I identified a gap in my cv and applied for an course with adult education (Early Years Workforce Level 2), was waiting for confirmation for start date. Heard back from the centre in May to be told there was a problem with numbers and the course may not be going ahead so wait to hear something. Heard nothing by July so rang and they said they don't think it will happen so I contacted the local college who do a similar course (CACHE L2 Certificate in an Introduction to Early Years Education and Care (QCF)) and applied. Received a letter saying the tutor is on annual leave and will contact for interview at the end of August. Heard nothing again! ffs
I contacted a placement (which will work for both courses) and they are waiting for me to confirm and sign up.

So, kids go back this morning and I chase it all up, turns out they have both accepted me, I have a place on both courses! ffs again

To complicate it further there are two jobs advertised that I am applying for since I'm desperate to go back to work. Job 1 (30hrs in Foundation Stage) will work with either course (as a working placement), Job 2 (general TA across the school) will not care about the course. Both deadlines of the 8th, shortlisting 11th, interviews by end of week and find out if successful the same day as interview.

Here are the details -
Course 1 (Early Years Workforce) - Tuesday evening so will miss time with the kids, have placement already. IF I get one of the jobs then I'd have to give up the placement after 2 weeks awkward .
Course 2 (CACHE L2 Certificate in an Introduction to Early Years Education and Care (QCF)) - Monday afternoon so no missing time with my kids but will have to give up course if I am successful but then I've missed my chance with course 1.
Failure - If I don't get either Job then I would be happier doing course 2 so I don't miss time with my kids.

Sorry it was so long, if you have any advice what so ever please please help me!

OP's posts:
Please
or
to access all these features

workcollegedilema · 05/09/2017 11:28

To complicate things further - the night of the evening course is the same night the kids go to an after school club they love. If they continue to go and I do the course I will only see them for half an hour or I could make them give it up and they'll hate me.

OP's posts:
Please
or
to access all these features

workcollegedilema · 05/09/2017 12:37

bump

OP's posts:
Please
or
to access all these features

workcollegedilema · 05/09/2017 14:04

anyone? please?!?!

OP's posts:
Please
or
to access all these features

Cynderella · 05/09/2017 20:41

I'd apply for both jobs, and hopefully be in a position to accept Job 1, assuming you would be happy to work there.

Could you ask to start both courses 'on trial' for a couple of weeks? Or at least keep one place in reserve while you start the other?

Please
or
to access all these features

workcollegedilema · 05/09/2017 22:51

Thank your for your reply. Decision made earlier, I needed to be fast as one of the courses was for tonight. I'd already applied for the two jobs and will continue to keep applying until I secure a position. I've gone for the evening course so I am ready and available to apply for all jobs I can and don't have to give the course up and for my future prospects. I had a chat with the tutor when I got there who said wait until I've heard from these two jobs next week, if I don't get them then contact the placement but I'm ok to swap to my new job as and when I get it (as long as its only once!)

OP's posts:
Please
or
to access all these features
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.