Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

"Camilla remarked, ‘Wouldn’t it be funny if your child had ginger Afro hair?’”

antelopevalley · 22/07/2022 14:15

According to this article, Harry will expose Camilla as racist in his new book. And this is supposed to be why the Royal Family have been so worried about Harry's upcoming book.

pagesix.com/2022/07/21/camilla-parker-bowles-may-be-why-harry-meghan-left-uk-book/

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 22/07/2022 14:18

Did she though?
we have no idea

Please
or

antelopevalley · 22/07/2022 14:20

We have no idea about ANYTHING that the Royal Family thinks or does except what the press tells us.
If there is zero truth in this claim in this article, a lawsuit will quickly see it disappear. If it remains, it will be because it is true.

OP's posts:
Please
or

CherieBabySpliffUp · 22/07/2022 14:21

antelopevalley · 22/07/2022 14:20

We have no idea about ANYTHING that the Royal Family thinks or does except what the press tells us.
If there is zero truth in this claim in this article, a lawsuit will quickly see it disappear. If it remains, it will be because it is true.

Would Camilla really sue her stepson though?

Please
or

MondaysChild7 · 22/07/2022 14:21

😲

Please
or

antelopevalley · 22/07/2022 14:25

@CherieBabySpliffUp Camilla could sue the publisher of this article and the author of the book quoted in the article who claims Harry's memoir will state this.
No need to sue Harry as he has not published anything at the moment.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Kedece2410 · 22/07/2022 14:26

And other sources are being quoted as saying there's no truth to it.

If it remains, it will be because it is true

Not necessarily. The Palace don't generally comment on things like that. They're more likely to ignore it

Please
or

SouthOfFrance · 22/07/2022 14:27

I can't see the royal family being that concerned about this tbh. I think the majority of the public won't see it as a racist comment.

Please
or

MondaysChild7 · 22/07/2022 14:30

SouthOfFrance · 22/07/2022 14:27

I can't see the royal family being that concerned about this tbh. I think the majority of the public won't see it as a racist comment.

So, according to you the majority of the Uk public is in fact racist then? Because the fact is that of course it’s a racist comment.

Who the fuck would even say that to anyone, let alone a family member??

Please
or

antelopevalley · 22/07/2022 14:30

@Kedece2410 The Royal Family get articles removed all the time. Look at the video removed from twitter about William cycling, or the injunction about Williams affair.
Because of social media these things can never be removed from the internet. But the Royal Family do get them removed from published articles.

@south lots of the public are racist, including on MN. So sadly I think you are right.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Pyewhacket · 22/07/2022 14:32

CherieBabySpliffUp · 22/07/2022 14:21

Would Camilla really sue her stepson though?

And how would you prove it ?. It's one person's word against another but it gives them more profile. Gotta keep that gravy train running.

Please
or

NellesVilla · 22/07/2022 14:36

I’m sure someone will call me racist, but why is that comment racist or offensive? Is it the ginger or the Afro part? Was it really such a bad thing to say? Or do we think it was said with malicious intent?

Please could someone educate/enlighten me on this?

And fwiw, I’m a fan of M & H.

Please
or

SmiteTheeWithThunderbolts · 22/07/2022 14:42

Because the fact is that of course it’s a racist comment.

Is it racist or 'gingerist'? Or both?

At around the time of the child's birth I was told by black colleagues that memes about whether the child might have a ginger afro were circulating in their (black) social circles. They thought it was funny.

Please
or

antelopevalley · 22/07/2022 14:43

The person being sued would have to provide the proof.
This would not be published without some kind of proof such as witnesses.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SouthOfFrance · 22/07/2022 14:52

MondaysChild7 · 22/07/2022 14:30

So, according to you the majority of the Uk public is in fact racist then? Because the fact is that of course it’s a racist comment.

Who the fuck would even say that to anyone, let alone a family member??

Sadly there is a lot of racism in Britain, yes.

While overt racist comments would cause more widespread public outrage, I just don't think most people would consider this particular comment problematic.

Please
or

Bubbleguppette · 22/07/2022 14:53

I don't see the comment as particularly racist either?

People often wonder which characteristics of the parents an unborn child will inherit.

Will s/he have dark hair like dad or be blonde like mum?

Will she have afro hair like mum or be ginger like dad?

Is it racist because she said a ginger afro combo might be funny? It would be unusual no doubt, and 'funny' can mean this as well as humorous.

Please
or

notanotheroneagain · 22/07/2022 15:01

SmiteTheeWithThunderbolts · 22/07/2022 14:42

Because the fact is that of course it’s a racist comment.

Is it racist or 'gingerist'? Or both?

At around the time of the child's birth I was told by black colleagues that memes about whether the child might have a ginger afro were circulating in their (black) social circles. They thought it was funny.

A clue: rappers often use the N word in their music. I don't think they are being racist within their own community.

I think in the RF case, the racism came from the 'concerned' angle.

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 22/07/2022 15:04

A lot are racist. A lot more are unconcerned, or don't challenge, other people's racism. I don't think that's particularly surprising.

Please
or

Puzzledandpissedoff · 22/07/2022 18:40

Isn't this starting to get a bit silly? It's not even Harry's book (whenever that's coming ...), but an article about a different book, which in turn comments on a book nobody's yet seen

Please
or

MondaysChild7 · 22/07/2022 22:10

NellesVilla · 22/07/2022 14:36

I’m sure someone will call me racist, but why is that comment racist or offensive? Is it the ginger or the Afro part? Was it really such a bad thing to say? Or do we think it was said with malicious intent?

Please could someone educate/enlighten me on this?

And fwiw, I’m a fan of M & H.

I suggest you educate yourself if you don’t know.

Please
or

antelopevalley · 23/07/2022 01:17

@NellesVilla why would it be funny for a child to have traditionally black style hair that is ginger? The joke is based on the idea that it is funny for a black child to have traditionally white hair colour.
That is what makes it a racist joke.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bubbleguppette · 23/07/2022 03:00

Didn't get that from the 'joke' tbh.

She was (allegedly) joking about/slagging off stereotypically black hair and stereotypically white hair in the same sentence and saying a mix would look funny. Why is that seen as an attack on one race more than the other? Is it simply that the historical context means we have to be more sensitive to one race than the other? But then isn't treating people differently because of race (at least to this extent) sort of racist in itself? Why is it ok for black people to joke about ginger afros, as a pp suggested it was, if ginger people can't joke about ginger afros.

(Genuine questions, not trying to be goady or racist or anything, just confused, sorry.)

Please
or

darmaka · 23/07/2022 15:36

Hoppinggreen · 22/07/2022 14:18

Did she though?
we have no idea

I thought everything in this book was fact and all the leaked stories in the press about H+M. Do we only question it if it's about other people?

Please
or

Serenster · 23/07/2022 16:43

There was also a general concept of a “Ginger Afro” existing generally long before Camilla would have even allegedly said this. The main character in the film Napoleon Dynamite, for example, was described as having a ginger afro in loads of the descriptions of the film. I have never heard any previous concern that this was a racist term, I must say.

And, oh my goodness! Better get the pitchforks out…

www.gingerafro.co.uk/shop

Please
or

antelopevalley · 23/07/2022 18:31

@Serenster Do you think it would have been funny if George had been born with that type of hair? Would you have made a joke about it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Serenster · 23/07/2022 19:20

antelopevalley · 23/07/2022 18:31

@Serenster Do you think it would have been funny if George had been born with that type of hair? Would you have made a joke about it?

I have red curly hair antelopevalley. If I was married to Prince William, and expecting a baby, then I would definitely have had those jokes made to me, and I would have laughed along with it, as I tend to do - I’ve heard them all before. I imagine Prince Harry has too.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.