Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Queen no longer appearing today

Rinoachicken · 14/11/2021 09:24

Yesterday it was confirmed she would be at the cenotaph.

This morning it’s announced she won’t be - due to ‘spraining her back’.

I usually trust that they aren’t hiding things about her health, plus she has a right to privacy etc, but this time…I don’t know why, but this feel odd and uncomfortable.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Nitgel · 14/11/2021 09:25

Well she is 94

Please
or

Rinoachicken · 14/11/2021 09:39

Yep I know, and normally that’s what I also respond with - but this just feels different

OP's posts:
Please
or

SnottyLottie · 14/11/2021 09:42

If you read between the lines with everything that’s been reported recently, I suspect that she’s had a fall and is now a little shaky on her feet. If that’s the case I don’t blame them for being extra cautious.

Maybe it’s time she stepped down from official engagements and has a regent to act on her behalf? Although she seems very dedicated to the job and would probably resist the suggestion.

Please
or

Rinoachicken · 14/11/2021 09:45

Yeah tbh that’s what I had thought also. I wondered if she might start using a chair, but also think she’d hate that.

OP's posts:
Please
or

IReallyCan · 14/11/2021 11:10

I thought Charles looked upset just now.

Please
or
Please
or

Rinoachicken · 14/11/2021 13:13

Thanks for the link @ShowOfHands

OP's posts:
Please
or

upinaballoon · 14/11/2021 13:53

@SnottyLottie

If you read between the lines with everything that’s been reported recently, I suspect that she’s had a fall and is now a little shaky on her feet. If that’s the case I don’t blame them for being extra cautious.

Maybe it’s time she stepped down from official engagements and has a regent to act on her behalf? Although she seems very dedicated to the job and would probably resist the suggestion.

It might be that the sprained back was what happened originally, or it could have been a fall earlier and now trying to get going has hurt the back again. Have you ever known someone who didn't want to use a wheelchair?!
I was thinking about the fact that BP didn't tell us anything specific at the first cancellation not going to N.I. but there are umpteen things that could be wrong with us and take a few weeks to get over, which we'd just as soon not need the whole world to know. If she's well in herself I expect she can continue with the zoom messages. We will see,
Please
or

EdithWeston · 14/11/2021 13:59

Focus today is on remembrance.

Any news on the Queen's health, or first sighting of her in a wheelchair, would have overshadowed it horribly, and I can quite see why she would not have wanted that to happen.

Please
or

upinaballoon · 14/11/2021 14:20

At 13.53 I wondered on here if the original reason for rest was connected to today's sprained back and seven minutes later a news bulletin told me it wasn't.

Please
or

ShamedBySiri · 14/11/2021 14:50

It's possible she has or has had a vertebral compression fracture associated with osteoporosis. My mother has had several. Very painful. After the first she had a vertebroplasty when they inject surgical cement to stabilise the fracture, which should have been a day case procedure but she wasn't ready to come home that evening and they kept her in overnight. It helped for a while until the next one.
I've not seen anything to suggest The Queen has osteoporosis but she does have that "dowager's hump" so her spine isn't as straight as it once was. She might have been having quite a few tests like a dexa scan and MRI and it made sense to keep her in overnight and do the whole lot at once rather than going back and forth to the hospital and fanning the interest of the news machine.

Or she may have had a fall as suggested upthread.

She's of an age where she will become more frail and not able to keep on the way she has been used to doing.

She wouldn't miss Remembrance Day unless she really had to.

Hope she makes a good recovery and keeps on keeping on.

Please
or

ImInStealthMode · 14/11/2021 14:57

I've just seen some pictures of them at the cenotaph today and every single member of the Royal family looks genuinely very sad, not just sombre at the occasion as usual. Hope there's not something going on behind the scenes.

Please
or

MushMonster · 14/11/2021 14:58

Ouch! That has to hurt

Please
or

Guacamole001 · 14/11/2021 17:22

Yes I think something is very amiss. Charles looked especially glum.

Please
or

EdithWeston · 14/11/2021 17:28

It's Prince Charles' birthday today (73)

It's the first Remembrance Day since his father died, his mother is not well, he hasn't seen one of his DC for 6 months or so, and has one DGC that he's not seen for a couple of years and one he's never met. And it's a solemn day anyhow. It's not surprising he looked subdued.

Please
or

EdithWeston · 14/11/2021 17:31

I was wondering about osteoporosis - she's definitely become shorter with age.

I have another couple of theories, both of which would fit brief hospitalisation, what we know of her health (needing a stick recently, bad back) and the comment in Private Eye that she has an infection that is hard to shift (may or may not be accurate), but prob best not to speculate further. It could all be something and nothing

Please
or

OverByYer · 14/11/2021 17:35

I hope she’s ok. I thought Charles, Camilla and Kate all looked a bit teary today but I get a bit teary myself watching so hopefully that’s what it was.

Please
or

MrsLargeEmbodied · 14/11/2021 17:40

it is a sombre occasion

Please
or

upinaballoon · 14/11/2021 18:09

Forgive that this isn't directly about the Queen, but I think Camilla's mother had osteoporosis and I will now look to see if Camilla is patron of an osteoporosis charity and still, of Versus Arthritis.

Shamed, I admire your words "fanning the interest of the news machine" and thank you for the info about the vertebroplasty.

Please
or

ShamedBySiri · 14/11/2021 20:31

@upinaballoon The Duchess of Cornwall is President of the Royal Osteoporosis Society and often talks about how her mother suffered with it.

www.instagram.com/tv/CVZx5uAjna/?utmmedium=copy_link

Please
or

ShamedBySiri · 15/11/2021 06:48

Also more information about vertebral compression fractures for anyone interested - I didn't know about them until Mum started getting them. (Not the point of the thread I know).

Sadly it's very difficult to get treatment for them on the NHS - not many places do them. One of the spine surgeons at my hospital was planning to do them when he was appointed but it never got funded. I believe they do them in Bristol and sometimes offer them for pathological fractures associated with cancer. Also, ideally, they need treating within six weeks. As you can imagine, by the time one has visited the GP, been sent away with pain killers etc and then to get a referral within that time frame is practically impossible. Mum still had her private insurance for the first one which cost more than a hip replacement! But no way were they going to fund anymore and her insurance is long gone - it won't be any help for osteoporosis or any other diseases of old age.

mayfieldclinic.com/pe-kyphoplasty.htm

Queen no longer appearing today Queen no longer appearing today
Please
or

ShamedBySiri · 15/11/2021 06:50

I don't think that Instagram link works but it's on the Clarence House Instagram 24 October.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.