to access all these features

Meghan's Legal Battle With British Press Suffers £60,000 Setback

MysticMeghan · 01/05/2020 15:26

OP's posts:
Please
or

therona · 01/05/2020 15:34

She's been vilified by these newspapers for years, it's absolutely disgusting. I'd have had enough by now too and probably take them to court to stop this happening to others.

Please
or

LouiseCollina · 01/05/2020 20:06

I think the general publics dislike of Meghan and Harry has been largely brought about by their own condescending and hypocritical behaviour, and I think the tabloid coverage has reflected that rather than been responsible for it. When you think of the publics mood towards them two years ago as compared to today it is quite staggering.

There seems to be a thread of fairly acute self-serving behaviour that has run through their joint decisions, which would be forgivable maybe in time if it weren't for the apparently accompanying dishonesty. Going to Hollywood, of all places, for privacy?! Please. Anyone who believes that is a fool, and people don't like being taken for fools.

If they had said "We're going to LA to advance ourselves however we see fit" the British public might have been initially shocked at the gall, but ultimately would've had a lot more respect for them.

Please
or

MrSheenandMe · 01/05/2020 22:13

It is a legal case - not a popularity contest, a vehicle for a family spat or a debate over why The People can print details of the letter and not be sued but the Mail can't??

Because one extract was released by her friends, (how did they know about it?) and the other by her father - the actual recipient - who was being lied about.

Please
or

Allnamesaregone · 02/05/2020 22:52

Surely the person she should be suing is her father? He took the letter to the press.

Please
or

Proppedupinbed · 02/05/2020 22:58

Because one extract was released by her friends, (how did they know about it?)

What happened here? I don't know the finer details.

Please
or

MrSheenandMe · 03/05/2020 01:04

Nor do I really. As I understood it , (but I may well have got this wrong) - "five close friends" talked to the press and while spinning the positive story about MM they mentioned that she had written a loving letter to her father to try and reconcile. (MM denies she gave permission for these friends to talk)

TM was angry that the letter - which was not entirely "loving" in his view was being portrayed as such - so he sent some of it to The Mail to put his side. He felt it was being misrepresented - and he was being made out to be the nasty father who would not contact her even after she "reached out". The publication of the letter tended to lend some support to his view.

That is the crux of the Mail's case - that she had already "breached her own privacy" by allowing the friends to tell the story. (There was other stuff that got thrown out as it was less about the case and more of a campaign against the paper so not relevant according to the judge.)
But as I said - I am no expert.

Please
or

Namechangervaver · 03/05/2020 02:41

I hope she can win against the corrupt press. They are awful .

Please
or

Phantom1 · 03/05/2020 02:49

Why should she win? She had already disclosed the contents of the letter to friends who then went to the press. The press report on what she and Harry do and say. What's wrong in that?

Please
or

MrSheenandMe · 03/05/2020 11:12

She will win if she has a proper legal case.

If she wins simply because the press is "considered corrupt" then everyone in the news who is not happy with a story can also win. That would likely include all politicians, many businesses, most celebrities and quite a few random individuals.

Please
or

Bluntness100 · 03/05/2020 11:25

I was thinking about this too.

If you read the court papers it’s clear that Meghan thinks there was an orchestrated and dishonest campaign by the British press to make her look bad. Which lends credence to the fact one of her circle stated she told Harry to take a stand and protect her, leading to where they are now and their quitting royal life, which was his stand.

However from what I can see it was her family that is to blame. The press printed only what they were saying about her. I think she’s blaming the wrong people. If Kate or any other celebs family was out in force slagging them off. And Kate was lying her arse off bout what had occured and trying to make her self look good, That also would have been printed. For me, the family and Meghans reaction is primarily to blame.

She is now in a terrible position. It is down to that letter that was printed.

But her father gave it to the press and requested it be printed. Because he was so upset by what she wrote and the fact her friends went to the press and said she’d written a lovely letter to him, when it was the opposite.

In addition he is saying it was only partially printed because he only partially gave it to them to publish to prove the lies coming out of Meghan circle, Painting her good and him bad. He says the rest was worse than what he showed.

She now either goes to court and it will be her v her dad, and the ensuing media circus. Or she tried to settle. The court documents make it clear she wishes financial recompense for the impact on her. She wants the money. However the newspapers involved may no longer wish to settle.

The whole thing is an absolute disaster for her. Clearly something has went wrong between her and her father since she met harry, because he’s never met him, but those texts Harry sent her father are appalling, manipulative and bullying. When she met harry they were in friendly terms, she even phoned her dad to tell him about the fact she was dating a prince. So something has went very wrong in the relationship some where, and it wasn’t the press thing the dad did, it was before that.

They cut him loose, since meeting but before her father got the media involved.

Either way. She needs to drop this case, because she’s already a controversial figure who is often disliked, Harry has pretty much distanced himself from his friends and family and cut many ties, his “career” is basically over, and hers is ending too other than some Oprah or Ellen interviews. If she goes to court and her, her father and her friends are cross examined there will be no way back for them, it will be game over. Even charities won’t want them involved.

Please
or

MrSheenandMe · 03/05/2020 11:43

Clear analysis Bluntness100 - I agree.

Please
or

Havartitomeetyou · 03/05/2020 11:57

The British press have been incredibly racist and abusive towards her literally since day one. The coverage in the run up to the wedding was vile. That racist Compton headline, plastering NIGGles over her face, the avocado murder headline, blowing up nonsense about her wanting scented candles when Kate did exactly the same thing. Just nonstop abuse for 2 years aimed at creating hate.

Please
or

Bluntness100 · 03/05/2020 12:07

I also think, that as awful as it sounds, whatever the press stands to lose financially if they lost, and the press loosing is not a forgone conclusion, the media circus will be pure gold. What they will be able to print, on the he said she said thing, will be beyond priceless. The scandal will be enormous. The whole family will also weigh in, so called experts will give opinion, it will go on for ages and dominate the headlines.

The press may actually consider letting it go to court and refusing to settle, because of what they get to do afterwards, Ie it may be worth it even if they lost. She may need to drop it for the same reason. Unless the court seals it, but even then,,,

And arguably she did break her own privacy, she told her friends about the letter, although it seems she lied and said it was lovely, when it was anything but. It was clearly a leaked story to make her look good.

But it’s not just her letter, it is her fathers, and he chose to send it to the media and requested it be printed. Arguably it is his to do so if he pleases. Once she has sent it to him, it is no longer hers to control. He is not under a confidentiality agreement.

I just don’t see how she can win in the true sense. Because even if she legally won and the court says her father had no right to send it to the press and the papers no right to publish on his request, the scandal that will ensue from the court case would mean she loses. There is simply no win for her here.

But none of meghans or Harry’s actions have been based on common sense, everything they have done has been lashing out, emotional and manipulative, manipulative to get the press or the palace to do as they wish and portray them as they wish,

so it’S a distinct possibility she feels sufficiently aggrieved that her father released the true story of the letter and made her look bad, that she goes for her day in court and makes everything so so mucb worse.

I don’t understand how the two of them are not looking around at the remnants of their once glittering life and thinking what the hell have we done.

Please
or

Nanalisa60 · 03/05/2020 12:09

Why are we still talking about these two self indulgent twats!! they have LEFT!! they have made there bed In LA LA Land, they want nothing more to do with the British people, I think the best thing to do is just let them get on with there new lives of peddling them self out to the highest bidder across the pond.

Please
or

Phantom1 · 03/05/2020 14:31

Bluntness100

In addition he is saying it was only partially printed because he only partially gave it to them to publish to prove the lies coming out of Meghan circle, Painting her good and him bad. He says the rest was worse than what he showed.

If it goes to court the letter including the worse parts maybe referred to and disclosed. That will surely worsen her case in court and it will most probably become public.

All this amounts to - is that Meghan and Harry cannot but would love to control their media. They would love everything to be positive and show them in a shining light.

Please
or

Phantom1 · 03/05/2020 14:42

Bluntess100

....those texts Harry sent her father are appalling, manipulative and bullying.

That's a similar stance taken by him against the media. He seemed to try to lay down the law in an authoritarian manner and thought everyone would agree/bow down to him because of who he is and in his world that's usually what happens, unless of course the Queen steps in. (The tiara/What Meghan wants Meghan gets)

It's just as well he's not the monarch and absolute monarchy is long gone. Harry and Meghan could well have turned out to be despotic tyrants!

Please
or

Bluntness100 · 03/05/2020 14:54

I agree I think they have tried to manipulate and control, the media. As if they should be privileged and only have stuff printed that posts them in a good light.anything else is unfair in their eyes.

It’s interesting none of the stuff they are complaining about is the racist stuff, nor are they going after the small papers who are more guilty of that shit etc. They have went after the big boys and they have stated in their court papers they wish financial recompense for the emotional distress caused.

It’s all stuff supposed to make Meghan look bad, that’s their claim. But when that stuff comes from her own family, and is proven to be true, then where is her case?

There is no celeb that would not have suffered the same fate if their family was publicly saying things about them and the celeb was demonstrably lying to protect their image. The letter is a prime example. Her friends leaked she’d written a lovely letter to her dad, but he had turned his back when actually she’d slaughtered him, was her dad expected to just take it?

Don’t get me wrong, the media are a bunch of shits, but if she was going after deeply personal stuff like they had hacked her voice mail or the racist stuff or something then it would be different. But that’s not what they are complaining about, and they have stated they want money.

Please
or

MrSheenandMe · 05/05/2020 09:43

Exactly Bluntness100

Please
or

rosiepony · 05/05/2020 12:24

What’s this going to mean for the poorly timed biography?

Please
or

Supersinglemummy9 · 20/06/2020 11:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.