Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Flea tips please!

Anytimeiseeit · 28/06/2022 08:09

Despite being regularly flea and worm treated, my cat has brought us fleas and we’re being bitten. I’ve got flea spray which feels like a difficult task, given that I need to spray every room and leave for 24 hours. Am going to have to stagger the bedrooms which makes me worry the fleas will spread again if I don’t do all the rooms at once. I’m hoovering like mad. Any other tips I need to know to get rid of them quickly?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Littlebirdyouaresosweet · 28/06/2022 08:10

Lots of shallow bowls of warm Fairy water... Fleas love a warm bath! Flea spray on vet's prescription bought online is cheaper!

Please
or

LookAtMyCircumstance · 28/06/2022 08:15

Yep you need the good stuff. Indorex spray for soft furnishings, carpets, curtains etc and Bravecto from the vet for the cats. Don't forget to empty the hoover and spray it too.

Please
or

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor · 28/06/2022 08:34

Indorex for the house, spray and close the door for an hour, doesn't have to be 24 hrs. Order on line as cheaper than the vet. Spray and 2 weeks later do again.

Bravecto spot on for the cats.

This combo hit rid of of an infestation that very quickly took hold when Advocate stopped working.

Please
or

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor · 28/06/2022 08:36

GOT not hit

Please
or

HMSSophia · 28/06/2022 08:40

It took my vet pointing out it was 4 weeks not monthly treatment that made my life liveable again. That and indirex Just a thought.

Please
or

Wolfiefan · 28/06/2022 08:40

What are you using? Decent flea treatment should prevent this.

Please
or

Anytimeiseeit · 28/06/2022 08:43

thanks everyone.
I get advocate from the vet to use monthly, but I suspect our cat had fleas when we got him, so maybe the advocate is working and we just have fleas in the house now, or the advocate isn’t working.
What do you do about beds? The flea spray says not to use on beds so is it just hoovering?

OP's posts:
Please
or

LookAtMyCircumstance · 28/06/2022 08:51

Last time things were really bad I sprayed the mattresses and then washed the kids pillows and duvets - obviously couldn't do all that and dry them in one day so I think I sprayed mine and aired them well and hoped for the best. I washed all the cushions too so I can't have done it all in one go.

Please
or

Strictlydusting · 28/06/2022 09:00

The only thing that got rid of them in my house was a steam cleaner. Apparently the steam kills the fleas and the eggs. We had an old house with brand new carpet and the vet said they will hide in any tiny crack such as a skirting board just waiting for passing flesh!

Please
or

Anytimeiseeit · 28/06/2022 09:00

Oh yes cushions! I’m washing the covers now but I hasnt thought about the actual cushions. We’ve got friends over on the weekend and now i’m panicking a bit in case they get bitten. There are things like scarves and coats hanging in the hall, do they need washing? I left a jumper on the sofa, will it put fleas in my wardrobe if I put it back there without washing it?
looking round my house I (yet again) wish I was tidier 😫

OP's posts:
Please
or

Anytimeiseeit · 28/06/2022 09:05

Strictlydusting · 28/06/2022 09:00

The only thing that got rid of them in my house was a steam cleaner. Apparently the steam kills the fleas and the eggs. We had an old house with brand new carpet and the vet said they will hide in any tiny crack such as a skirting board just waiting for passing flesh!

Feels impossible to get rid of them then if they’re everywhere like that! Glad you managed it though.
maybe I need a steam cleaner. I’ve sent husband off to the shop to get more flea spray and I’ve got warm Fairy bowls everywhere, wish me luck!
Ive also just read that lemon water spray is good so I’m boiling up lemons!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Dspx · 28/06/2022 09:08

Wash everything you can. We had this and took a while, tried spraying and it didnt really work. We ended up using the room foggers they worked wonders. Pull out what you can so the skirting boards are visible put the fogger up on a table in the middle of the room set it off and go out for a few hours. If you get one for each room (not cheap) you can do the whole house at once so avoid any re infestation. Then you just need to hoover when you get home x

Please
or

caringcarer · 28/06/2022 10:02

You need a flea bomb. Find on Amazon. Shut pets out of room and activate overnight. Change your brand of flea treatment.

Please
or

Anytimeiseeit · 28/06/2022 12:16

Husband came back from the pet shop with 2 bombs so have set one off in lounge and one in my daughters bedroom. Couldn’t really do the whole of the house as we’re both working at home today.
hopefully they’ll do the trick in those rooms and I’ll either get some more or keep spraying, washing and hoovering etc! (Which I’ll do anyway. The washing machine is going to be on non stop this week washing all sheets, pillow, blankets etc!)
Thanks for all the advice

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.