Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Energetic kitten

Stuckinarut79 · 27/06/2022 20:58

Hoping someone can tell me it’ll get better. We’ve a 14 week old kitten, had her three weeks now, and so much energy! Doesn’t really do snuggles will be petted but no kneading, purring. She’s dashing around pouncing on everything which I get is perfectly natural , she’s now taken to attacking hands and feet, will she calm down or do we have an independent cat? At what age do they come a bit calmer?
am I doing something wrong?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Moonface123 · 27/06/2022 21:02

In my experiance kittens work out better in pairs, they entertain each other, l am rehoming two kittens shortly, l am expecting temporarily chaos.

Please
or

CTPT · 27/06/2022 22:20

You're not doing anything wrong, sounds like a typical kitten!

Like the poster above says, they are generally best in pairs so they can play together. Would that be an option? You can adopt another kitten and they should bond.

Your kitten should calm down in time though!

Please
or

Wolfiefan · 27/06/2022 22:24

Yep. Should’ve got two! This is typical kitten behaviour.

Please
or

Littlebirdyouaresosweet · 27/06/2022 22:27

Yabu to have just 1 dkitten.
Kitty Karma op!!

Please
or

Sunshineandrainbow · 27/06/2022 22:32

Have a look at interactive cat toys they helped us.

Please
or

spanishsummers · 27/06/2022 22:39

Mine climbed curtains until 6 months. Once they can go out, they calm down.

Please
or

Chikapu · 28/06/2022 07:44

Ours is ten months old now and we got him when he was four weeks. I was tearing my hair out at his endless energy, pouncing on our hands and feet, running across the house and scaling us and just general crazy but adorable zoomies 😂Honestly, it felt like he never slept.
It does get better and very quickly, he's much calmer now, still plays and runs around but it's more focused on toys, not us. He's turned into a lovely, affectionate little boy who has the occasional slip-up and forgets to use his gentle paws but it's no longer like living with a psychopathic shark.
I'd say he really started to calm down after he was neutered at five months.

Please
or

coffeecupsandfairylights · 28/06/2022 08:27

As everyone else has said - this is why you get kittens in pairs!

They are very energetic and playful for a good year or so, though once they're neutered and you can start letting them out around six months old, they'll start to calm down a little bit.

Kittens needs tons of exercise and play so make sure everyone in the family plays with them everyday. I would also encourage lots of handling so they get used to being touched, picked up etc.

Please
or

Belovedfool · 28/06/2022 08:56

We got 3 at the same time and they played for hours and hours. They really enjoy a playmate, so if you can get another very soon, they'll have a ball. It took till they had outdoor access to calm them down, and they still charge round like whirling dervishes at times. It's part of the fun but yes, exhausting!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.