Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Cat having seizures

bookrecs1 · 23/06/2022 09:17

My (now) 16 year old cat started having fits/ seizures about 4 years ago - my vet at the time did bloods and scans which showed nothing unusual so they put it down to a form of epilepsy. The fits were lasting about 30 seconds and happening every 3-6 months. Apart from being very hungry and wanting reassurance afterwards, they didn't seem to have any lasting effects. About a month ago she had a bad fit which seemed to last longer and take her a lot longer to recover (a few hours of being fairly disorientated & vocal) - since that fit they have really ramped up and she is having them every few days or so. My vet seems to think it is still epilepsy and wants to do more tests, which we are doing tomorrow.

In between the fits, she is fine - she is old, she sleeps a lot and still very vocal in letting me know when she wants attention. She is also ravenous 24/7. On top of this she does have feline dementia so only has access to our (secure) garden so no danger of her having a fit while out and about. She has a litter tray upstairs and to be honest, has had no desire to go outside at all for the last few weeks.

She twitches and spasms a lot - I'm worried this could be because she is in pain? She is very loved and I just want to do the right thing for her. Has anyone had any experience with cats having fits?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Want2beme · 23/06/2022 11:05

Bless her. Is there something that causes the fits? If she has quality of life, that's the important thing. Is she on medication? I haven't experienced this condition, but wanted to respondSmile

Please
or

MarisPiper92 · 23/06/2022 12:06

No advice, but I'm going through similar with one of mine - two short seizures a few months apart, seems fine in between (mine is much younger than yours though). The vet reassured me that the seizures don't cause any pain, which is something. Hope you and she are both ok.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.