Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Want to get a kitten

ChatterMonkey · 21/06/2022 17:17

Whats the best way of going about this?

Always had cats growing up, when i moved away I've always been in flats with limited outdoor access. Now im in a house i want to get a cat, but im not sure how to go about it!

Back home, there would always be someone who's cat had kittens, and they would give them away. So the idea of spending money to buy a kitten seems crazy. I had a look on gumtree but it just seems a bit seedy and kitten breeder. Messaged one person and she replied letting me know all the different litters of different ages she currently has, and its totally put me off.

Rescue place near us say they aren't taking any applications for kittens due to large waiting lists. I'm not opposed to getting an older cat, but think it might be easier to train a kitten from scratch rather than taking in a cat of unknown history?

Whats the normal way that people get kittens...?

OP's posts:
Please
or

MyVoiceCounts · 21/06/2022 17:21

What are you planning on training your kitten to do? Grin

I’ve had a kitten -he grew to be cool and aloof.

my current cat I adopted at 8 months old. She’s currently sat on my lap and sleeps on me all night!

I'm just saying that getting a kitten doesn’t guarantee training iyswim. Smile

Please
or

ChatterMonkey · 21/06/2022 17:24

More just training to use litter tray and/or know to ask out at the back door sort of thing. Nothing spectacular training wise, but know with cats, even the basics aren't a given if they decide they don't want to 🤣

OP's posts:
Please
or

Namechangenora52 · 21/06/2022 17:25

You could adopt from abroad? I'm in the Middle East and there are so many stray cat's here. It's utterly heartbreaking. We now have three of our own that we've adopted and just taken in this little family that were thrown out into the desert. There are no official charities but lots of Facebook rescue groups you could contact? Good luck!

Want to get a kitten
Please
or

ToldItToTheBees · 21/06/2022 17:26

Ah, their ages don't matter as much as their inherent personalities, but you could ask your local vets if they know of any kittens needing homes?

Please
or

Fluffycloudland77 · 21/06/2022 18:16

ChatterMonkey · 21/06/2022 17:24

More just training to use litter tray and/or know to ask out at the back door sort of thing. Nothing spectacular training wise, but know with cats, even the basics aren't a given if they decide they don't want to 🤣

They all know how to do that. That’s just any cat.

You could get a pedigree kitten.

Please
or

Wolfiefan · 21/06/2022 18:18

We went with rescue. Could you look a little further afield? Or go for a young adult?
I wouldn’t go for kittens again. They aren’t a known quantity in terms of character and they are a bloody PITA when small! Attacking feet etc.
if you decide you’re brave enough for kittens then get two. They keep each other slightly out of mischief.

Please
or

BiscoffSundae · 21/06/2022 18:20

Got mine on gumtree, got an older cat though

Please
or

Enidcat5 · 21/06/2022 18:21

Where have you contacted rescue wise? We have millions of kittens! I work for a big animal welfare charity

Please
or

Yarnasaurus · 21/06/2022 18:23

Adopt an adult cat from a rescue, they'll be matched to what you can offer and will already know the basics.

Cats are kittens for such a tiny amount of time, so most of the cat's life with you will be as an adult! and there are always adult cats needing homes.

Please
or

Toughtimesagain · 21/06/2022 18:24

Training a kitten 🤣 Good luck with that. They are little menaces.

I got mine from Pets4homes, went for pedigrees from registered breeders and did lots of checks and visits.

Please
or

violetsanddaisies · 21/06/2022 18:30

Adult cats are actually much better when it comes to getting what you see. Rescue charities have no incentive to not tell you the truth, and they will want to match the cat to your lifestyle/household. A friendly adult cat will remain a friendly cat - with a kitten you never know if they'll turn out cuddly or aloof or shy etc.

Please
or

Chikapu · 21/06/2022 18:47

I got my kitten from a friend who bottle fed him from being a few days old. I have clicker trained him to do some stuff, he sits, gives a paw and does uppies (reaching up with his front paws) in return for a Dreamie and butt scritches.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.