Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Advice needed please

TFMinx · 20/06/2022 20:53

My beautiful 14 year old cat has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. He already has arthritis in his back legs and hips. Vet has said we have options: medications to lower hyperthyroid, but may then need more medication to raise it if it goes too low; an operation of some description (can't remember what they said); or a treatment involving radiation. If we went for medication, he'd be on it for life. We have insurance, but can't ring until tomorrow - apparently we'd need any treatment to be pre-approved by insurance company.

We love him to pieces, but the thought of him being in pain with arthritis and having lifelong medication for hyperthyroidism...you know where I'm going with this...Sad

Can anybody help to bring us to a decision?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Inthesameboatatmo · 20/06/2022 20:55

I wouldn't write him off just yet op. See what can be done re insurance and go from there. He's got a good few years left yet .

Please
or

TFMinx · 20/06/2022 20:55

Also, apparently hyperthyroidism can mask other complications such as kidney disease, which I didn't know.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TFMinx · 20/06/2022 20:56

Thank you @Inthesameboatatmo we're definitely not writing him off just yet and will definitely see what the insurance says. Thanks so much for replying.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Inthesameboatatmo · 20/06/2022 21:11

I'm sure it will be ok. It's quite normal to think the worst. When one of my cats was a kitten they had a reaction to their first jabs. They collapsed bless them ,I was in such a panic I called 999 instead of the vets 🙈. They are family aren't they is all I'm saying so it's absolutely normal to feel like you do .

Please
or

TFMinx · 20/06/2022 21:16

You're right of course. Our other cat had to be PTS at just five as he had kidney failure 😞

OP's posts:
Please
or

Inthesameboatatmo · 20/06/2022 21:25

Oh I'm sorry to hear that op it's such a shame .

Please
or

Theoldwrinkley · 20/06/2022 21:56

Our elderly cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism earlier this year. He was always ravenous and had always been the stereotypical 'big ginger Tom-cat' with a bit of a mean streak. But he had diminished dramatically in size and his coat was poor. He has been on medication since January. He is now a healthy weight, good coat, hungry at breakfast and supper but not ravenous, no more vomiting. He is an old cat (17) and is not nimble and spry, but leads the life of an elderly cat. Warm, lazy, fed and content. Having hyperthyroidism is easily capable with, both for the cat (on medication) and owner. We have no insurance.

Please
or

TFMinx · 20/06/2022 22:03

Thank you @Theoldwrinkley that is so encouraging! So glad your boy is doing well

OP's posts:
Please
or

Clarice99 · 20/06/2022 22:05

One of my cats was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism a couple of years ago. I chose not to medicate her, but instead went for radioiodine therapy. Radioiodine is considered the gold-standard treatment for feline hyperthyroidism.

The care my cat received was first rate. The cost, except the excess, was covered on her insurance (Pet Plan).

I took her here: www.hyperthyroidcatcentre.co.uk/

The Hyperthyroid Cat Centre is not local to me, but they are apparently one of the best.

Please
or

TFMinx · 20/06/2022 22:21

Thank you @Clarice99 I was wary of the radioiodine option, however your comment has calmed me somewhat. My DH is calling the vet tomorrow to get some more information about our options.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Clarice99 · 20/06/2022 22:28

TFMinx · 20/06/2022 22:21

Thank you @Clarice99 I was wary of the radioiodine option, however your comment has calmed me somewhat. My DH is calling the vet tomorrow to get some more information about our options.

My cat was 10 when she had the treatment, so she wasn't a young cat. She is completely cured from the hyperthyroidism and is in really good health now.

I did loads of research/reading and I spoke to two vets before making the decision to have this treatment. Both vets were really positive about it, so if your insurance will cover the cost, please give it serious consideration.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Please
or

Want2beme · 21/06/2022 00:13

I had 2 male cats with hyperthyroidism and both lived to age 20. They had it for roughly 10 years each. I chose medication for them and never had a problem with it. Vets didn't test their blood regularly, they just tried them on meds and got it right that way.

Please
or

TFMinx · 21/06/2022 05:55

Thank you all! My DH is keen to try radioiodine, but will listen to the vet's further advice. If we can keep him around for longer and in little to no pain then we definitely will; he's the king of our castle!

OP's posts:
Please
or

DieschoensteZeitdesJahres · 21/06/2022 07:13

Our cat also has had radioactive iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism recently.
It has completely cured her and she has returned to her pre-diagnosis weight and shiny coat. She looks well and our vet is happy with her progress. Insurance covered the vast majority of the cost.

She's about 15 and although kidney disease was also diagnosed in post-radiation checkups, it's at an early stage and is currently well controlled with a prescription diet and potassium drops.

I hope your lovely boy gets on well with whatever course of treatment you decide on. It will have a big, positive effect! Flowers

Please
or

TFMinx · 25/06/2022 11:37

So an update. We will be taking Alfie to be put to sleep this afternoon. Although the hyperthyroidism can be cured, he would be on lifelong medication for arthritis, which would only suppress the pain. He has muscle wastage in his back legs and can't always use them properly. To say I am devastated would be an understatement. Thank you so much everyone for sharing your stories with me, it means a lot that strangers would reach out in this way. 🐈‍⬛

OP's posts:
Please
or

DieschoensteZeitdesJahres · 25/06/2022 23:16

I'm so sorry to read your update. I hope it helps you knowing that it's a loving decision made in Alfie's best interests. Flowers

Please
or

TFMinx · 26/06/2022 00:14

Thank you @DieschoensteZeitdesJahres I know it was the right thing to do, just so incredibly difficult

OP's posts:
Please
or

Want2beme · 28/06/2022 15:52

How sad for you. Sorry for the loss of your DcatFlowers

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.