Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Any Cat Sitters on here?

Yankydoodledandy · 19/06/2022 15:07

Am thinking of doing cat sitting as I have spare time, need something to do and adore all kitty cats, had them all my life.

Thinking of doing:
Drop ins once or twice a day
Overnight stays if required

So my question is what insurance do I need?

OP's posts:
Please
or

91BlackCat · 19/06/2022 15:26

I am a cat sitter but use a cat sitting app to get jobs. Therefore insurance is taken care of. Although obviously the company take a cut of the booking fee to cover their costs.

Please
or

Yankydoodledandy · 19/06/2022 23:36

Ah ok. Want to weigh up all options

OP's posts:
Please
or

User3568975431146 · 19/06/2022 23:48

Me too. I have public liability and business insurance.

It's a good job but lots of people have romantic notions of working with animals. You do get radioactive litter trays, awful litter that acts like glue when wet, weird and wonderful litter routines, very demanding owners, lots of cat cams watching. I'm currently going into a house with three cats who use the hall carpet as their favourite litter spot. The smell would blow your socks off and I've got a high tolerance!!

It's very full on (if you're successful at it!) I'm
currently working 14-16 hour days and I work seven days a week 365 days a year.

I'm very tired and although I do love what I do, I am thinking of packing it in next year because it's a lifestyle business but doesn't give you yourself much quality of life unfortunately.

Please
or

coffeecupsandfairylights · 20/06/2022 07:23

I do 🥰 I'm also a dog walker so cat-sits are just a helpful way to top-up my income.

You can get pet-sitting insurance very cheaply. I used Protectivity but there are plenty of other companies out there.

I find that cat-sitting is very seasonal though and I wouldn't be able to make a living (or even decent money) doing that alone. But it's an easy job and a very helpful way to earn a little extra cash.

Unlike PP I don't find it time-consuming or stressful but it depends on what services you're offering and also your area, I suppose. I have a small service area and don't take jobs every weekend or every evening so I always have time off.

Last week, for example, I had drop ins every evening plus Saturday - this week I have no cat visits until a pet-sit on the weekend - which I'm very much looking forward to as the owner has a hot tub I can use Grin

Please
or

Want2beme · 20/06/2022 10:31

coffeecupsandfairylights, hot tub Grin - enjoy!

I have nothing to add, just to say it's really interesting to get an insight into the world of cat-sitting.

Please
or

coffeecupsandfairylights · 20/06/2022 11:34

Want2beme · 20/06/2022 10:31

coffeecupsandfairylights, hot tub Grin - enjoy!

I have nothing to add, just to say it's really interesting to get an insight into the world of cat-sitting.

Yep - I will do Grin

Knowing my luck it will probably piss it down all weekend though 🤣

Please
or

yellowsmileyface · 20/06/2022 14:10

I agree that it's very seasonal. I started July last year and got 3 requests my first week, then I didn't get any jobs the month of September.

I think I've been quite lucky and only had good experiences. All of the owners have been friendly and laid back, and the cats have been well behaved and easy to look after.

I use Cat in a Flat which is good, though obviously they do take a cut of the money. Pet sitting insurance probably works out cheaper, especially if you're planning on doing it a lot, but Cat in a Flat is a reputable site. It might be harder to find clients if you're planning on self advertising.

Please
or

Yankydoodledandy · 20/06/2022 23:55

Its to top up my income over the next few months, work flexi so all doable.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Yankydoodledandy · 20/06/2022 23:55

So what does the insursnce cover you for???

OP's posts:
Please
or

coffeecupsandfairylights · 21/06/2022 07:12

My insurance covers things like:

• Lost keys and having to call out a locksmith
  • Any cat getting unwell or injured while in my care that's not my fault (eg. if they're outdoor cats and one gets run over, or an indoor cat happens to get a UTI or something)
  • Any cat getting unwell or injured in my care due to my own negligence (eg. if I accidentally gave a cat something they were allergic to, or accidentally left something sharp out and they cut themselves)
  • Public liability

It also covers my close family members so that if I become unwell and can't work, they can do the job for me and still be insured.

I've also added things like income protection if I'm unwell and can't work but that probably won't apply to you if you're not doing it full-time ☺️
Please
or

Yankydoodledandy · 21/06/2022 10:33

@coffeecupsandfairylights sounds like great cover - who is this with please?

OP's posts:
Please
or

coffeecupsandfairylights · 21/06/2022 11:39

Yankydoodledandy · 21/06/2022 10:33

@coffeecupsandfairylights sounds like great cover - who is this with please?

Protectivity - it's around £6 a month ☺️

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.