Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Cat proofing garden/cat safety

OttilieKnackered · 11/06/2022 14:11

We are soon moving and hope to start letting our cat out. Currently in a flat so she’s an indoor cat. The garden of the new place backs onto a railway line which makes me very nervous but not sure if it’s any more dangerous than roads.

Has anyone successfully cat proofed a garden? Or do they always find a way out? Would we need to cut down any trees she could climb up? Growing up our cats were just allowed out freely but that feels pretty reckless!

Any advice/experience welcome.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fluffycloudland77 · 11/06/2022 14:49

There’s a lot of diy kits around, you don’t need to cut trees down you can cat proof them too. My friends dog was killed by a train so I don’t blame you for worrying and she’s likely got no fear of cars either.

Please
or

OttilieKnackered · 11/06/2022 15:09

Thanks @Fluffycloudland77 thats really helpful. Are you able to recommend any products in particular?

OP's posts:
Please
or

violetsanddaisies · 11/06/2022 15:12

Have a look at Sanctuary SOS, they're a great company we used at a previous home.

Please
or
Please
or

DinkyDaisy · 11/06/2022 19:41

We are blocking the end of a patio between 2 walls.
We are going for Purrfect fencing uk.
Not finished yet but will report back....

Please
or

OttilieKnackered · 12/06/2022 17:03

Thank you all. Any more ideas or experiences welcome!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fluffycloudland77 · 12/06/2022 18:35

You can get rollers for agile breeds like bengals. My next cat will be another Bengal and will need double rollers.

Please
or

Owlcat42 · 12/06/2022 19:03

I was looking at these for the house I'm hoping to buy, which has a solid but jumpable fence at the bottom of the garden (there's a thicket and a main road after that) oscillot.eu

Please
or

Kitten2 · 12/06/2022 19:06

My cat climbs up the side of the house and on to the roof and down the other side. I think it'll only work if you don't have an adventurous cat

Please
or

leotardrock · 20/06/2022 22:27

I bought something similar to the protector Pete cat barrier from Ebay!

They spent the first day trying to escape but now seem totally happy just chilling in the garden!

I do throw some toys out there, their 3 way tunnel 🤣 - but they are as good as gold!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.