Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Introducing a 3rd adult cat

learieonthewildmoor · 09/06/2022 16:56

This is Cat 3.
He was abandoned: thin, dirty, mangy and had a chest infection.
He’s settled in now after a couple of months; clean, chunky and happy as Larry.
However, Cat 1 and Cat 2 are not getting used to him at all. Cat 2’s expression pretty much sums up their attitude.
We’ve been doing scent swapping, alternating confining/free roaming but no progress.
We are going to try dividing the house with cat gates; and let them live parallel lives. Does anyone else have experience of needing to do this?

Introducing a 3rd adult cat Introducing a 3rd adult cat
OP's posts:
Please
or

Tiani4 · 09/06/2022 17:07

Lol 😻 at cat 1 or cat 2 hiding on top of a cupboard! Bless.

Sounds like you're trying to introduce them slowly which is a good plan but that cats 1 & 2 are stressed still. I had same when we introduced cats 3&4 - cat 2 was very unhappy.

i used Feliway diffuser plug in, recommended by the vet... only needed the one (which lasted a few weeks.) and lots of smoothing cat 2. He was allowed in my bedroom at night and given his bowl separately so he knew he was important. They're all like cat siblings now- curl up & purr together and occasionally grump together....

Please
or

Tiani4 · 09/06/2022 17:10

They're handsome cats btw! Love the cat tax photos OP Grin

Please
or

learieonthewildmoor · 09/06/2022 17:41

We’ve got 2 Feliway diffusers and it’s made an improvement. Now Cat 1 and Cat 2 just hiss rather than demonically growl when they catch his scent.
How long did it take for them all to adapt?

More photos: how cat 3 feels, how cat 1 feels

OP's posts:
Please
or

TennisMum75 · 10/06/2022 15:50

I feel your pain. We are in a similar situation. We adopted a 5 year old cat who had been a stray for 9 months. This was four weeks ago. We have 2 existing cats (4 year old brothers). We have got to the stage where we’re letting them meet face to face for short periods. There has been much growling and hissing. New cat has even chased one of existing cats up the stairs. It’s been very stressful! However yesterday, new cat and one of existing cats sniffed each other’s noses and didn’t react (probably because I distracted new cat with treats before anything negative could blow up!!). New cat is also desperate to go outside and he’s getting frustrated and miserable at being stuck indoors. I’m not sure whether I should be letting him out until I can trust the three of them not to fight? I can supervise interactions inside, but I can’t when they are outside.

Please
or

learieonthewildmoor · 23/06/2022 16:45

The division of the house is not going well at all. Cat 3 wants to be where the other cats are and seems surprised every time they show an intense lack of enthusiasm for his presence.
Cat 1 will decide he wants to be in the other part of the house and Cat 2 follows him, whereupon they are both extremely surprised and upset to find Cat 3 there.
Photo 1 shows the only barricade that has been effective in keeping them seperate. Cat 3 can be seen in the photo. He is crying loudly at being on his own. For a cat that was on the street for several months he is extremely fond of being with humans and other cats.
Photo 2 shows the more elegant configuration that we tried. Cat 1 worked out he could push the left side or pull the right side open. Cat 3 is not that clever, but he is strong and just bowls it over.
I am going to tie it to some hooks with an elastic loop and see if that works. We bought a mesh gate that stretches over the stair but can’t attach it to the wall because bricks. We have ordered a spring loaded one but that won’t come until Tuesday. It is extremely exciting hearing a thump and seeing Intruder Cat(s) gaily sauntering by followed by a barrage of hissing and growling and swinging paws, but my preference is for a much calmer existence.

OP's posts:
Please
or

learieonthewildmoor · 23/06/2022 16:47

TennisMum75, I love that your cats all match! A trio of snowies.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Notagain76 · 23/06/2022 16:59

We have 6 cats and 1 of them doesn’t really get on with the other 5, he was our 3rd and was a stray. In the end I just let them get in with it. Funnily dog also not keen on this particular cat. Cat seems happy and not bothered. They now don’t fight just none of them snuggle up to or this one doesn’t snuggle. Maybe just let them sort it out.

Please
or

Notagain76 · 23/06/2022 17:00

Obviously supervised, cats are very vocal more than aggressive

Please
or

learieonthewildmoor · 23/06/2022 17:28

If it was just Cat 1 we’d be able to, but Cat 2 is very stressed. She’s been hiding under the bed, not eating and being very “Et tu, Brute?” to me. She’s been much more relaxed since trying the division.
I’m not expecting them to be friends, I’m going for not actively hostile to one another. I can’t have cat fights breaking out every hour.
Hoping this works.

Introducing a 3rd adult cat
OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.