My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Moving cats with other cats

5 replies

GirlWithTheLionHeart · 03/07/2014 08:16

I have two lovely brothers who are rescue cats. I'm moving back to my mothers for a bit and she has three cats! All males too, one is very alpha and the other two are ok.

My cats are very social with other cats so I'm not too worried about them.

Any tips? Do I have to keep them in for a bit? Not sure how I can do that as there's 2 cat flaps!

OP posts:
GirlWithTheLionHeart · 03/07/2014 14:53

Bump

OP posts:
thecatneuterer · 03/07/2014 23:20

You must keep them in for at least three weeks so they regard their new place as home. They will need to start off in a room that they can regard as theirs which a) they can't get out off and b) the others can't get into. You will also need to keep windows closed. A spare room would be ideal, but it might of course have to be your room.

You will have to try introductions gradually but let them feel they can retreat to their room and of course not give them any access to cat flaps before the three weeks is up. Be prepared for a bit of spitting and flattened ears. But as long as fur isn't flying you shouldn't worry too much.

GirlWithTheLionHeart · 04/07/2014 20:44

Thank you, really helpful! It's going to be mad I bet. My room will be small and have me and ds in his cot. Two cats in there who tend to howl seems daunting. Maybe they can go in a spare room. Thank you

OP posts:
thecatneuterer · 04/07/2014 20:47

Good luck! And of course make sure they're chipped/the chip details are up to date. The first time they venture out will be a bit nerve-wracking for you and it will help to know they are at least chipped.

GirlWithTheLionHeart · 06/07/2014 06:51

Thanks for reminding me!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.