My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Following on from the tapeworm thread, do I need to worm the cat?

18 replies

Corygal · 22/06/2014 21:06

Still can barely sleep from the hardcore pix of That Thing on MN this week. Apparently OP caught a tapeworm off the cat.

Do I need to worm fat tabby Mr Cory? He has fleas & they can carry tapeworm, allegedly.

I still feel positively violated by MN after the appalling denouement (that really isn't the right word, is it) of the lady crapping what she thought were 'beansprouts'.

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 22/06/2014 21:28

Read \link{http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/2007427-For-the-want-of-a-worming-tablet?msgid=45425000\this thread} which Lone posted, Corygal.

Lonecatwithkitten · 22/06/2014 21:33

We had the x-ray out that lead to opening the cat up the other day. The poor cat had been vomiting everything for 48 hours so we x-rayed. Saw what looked like button about 2cm in diameter on film so opened cat up. The 'button' was the tapeworm's head!

Lonecatwithkitten · 22/06/2014 21:34

Oh yes bare minimum worming once every three months good quality product like milbemax or drontal.

cozietoesie · 22/06/2014 21:34

2 cm? Yeuch!

Fluffycloudland77 · 22/06/2014 21:35

Mr Cory is a house cat isn't he? If we assume he isn't coming into contact with mice does he need a wormer?

Confused

Corygal · 22/06/2014 21:35

Thanks cozie. Do I need to worm an indoor cat? I reckon I do, esp as Mr C has fleas. And fleas can carry tapeworm?

Mr Cory is livid with me, a propos of nothing - I was grooming him, with him flat on his back waving his paws as I tackled the fluffy white belly - when I hit a knot. His Furriness shot up, bit me, and is now sulking in his Amazon box. Lord knows how he will take the Drontal.

I am getting my own back on him by putting out his cloudy white belly fur for the pigeons.

OP posts:
Corygal · 22/06/2014 21:40

Lone - oh, that is grim.

Incidentally, how likely is it a two-leg can catch a tapeworm from a cat? I feel quite queasy at the thought, I'm hoping it's not that common.

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 22/06/2014 21:41

As far as I know (but maybe Lone would comment), the risk of worm infestation for an indoor cat is pretty low - but not absolutely zero. (Eggs etc perhaps tracked inside on shoes and so on.) Personally, I'd worm but not nearly at the frequency of an outdoor/hunting cat.

Fluffycloudland77 · 22/06/2014 21:45

He took it in a less than stoical manner then? At least he doesn't bottle his feelings up I suppose.

Corygal · 22/06/2014 21:51

When I got Mr Cory from Battersea they said: "He likes a cuddle. But when he's had enough he lets you know."

A euphemism worthy of Henry James, it turned out.

Six years on Mr C is a million times more cuddly, but miles more vocal and indignant when I make a mistake. He reckons I've had enough training by now to know what I am doing - I sometimes feel like I've been sacked from the massage parlour by a grumpy old tycoon.

OP posts:
mynameisred · 22/06/2014 22:21

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you worm a cat that you cannot pill?

cozietoesie · 22/06/2014 22:29

Use a spot on - but make sure you get one that does all the worms and not just one type.

mynameisred · 22/06/2014 22:32

thanks, I'm not even sure I'll be able to do that, but I'll give it a go.

cozietoesie · 22/06/2014 22:36

My old boy is completely pill-resistant (even his vet wouldn't attempt it) so I've always used a spot on. I used to use Profender for worms - it does all of them - but now I've switched to the new Broadline which does fleas as well. It also has a very neat new type of applicator. In fact Seniorboy didn't actually notice when I used it for the first time!

naturalbaby · 22/06/2014 22:36

I would, especially after reading that thread! I have to give mine 2 different types because one cat eats things she catches so I really don't her giving me or the kids anything.
I have a cat who somehow caught toxoplasmosis. She only went out in the garden with me and I only ever saw her catch a mouse then let it go alive, so have no idea how it happened. We only used to flea and worm treat her before she went to the cattery a couple of times a year.

cozietoesie · 22/06/2014 22:40

Mice come inside the house. She could well have been catching prey on the sly when you didn't notice.

mynameisred · 22/06/2014 22:45

Scaredycat will not allow any kind of treatment unless she is fast asleep. Flea treatment is a matter of keeping it next to the armchair and wait for an opportunity and then she invariably wakes up and jumps the moment I think I'm about to succeed.

cozietoesie · 22/06/2014 23:28

Actually, there's a point there - about mice. Many people say 'My cat is indoor only' but that cat could well be mousing inside the house on mice who have come in from or go outside. These days, Seniorboy would probably merely yawn if a full mouse marching band paraded up and down in front of him but I think he had a few in his younger days. (My mom lived in a older house.)

And I know that The Lodger had at least one mouse inside this house. (I had to dispose of the carcase.) This is an older house as well.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.