My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Indoor cat desperate to go out all of a sudden.

11 replies

QueenStromba · 09/04/2014 15:20

We've had Rice for just over a year now. She's 16 and DP reckons that Battersea said she'd always been an indoor cat (I don't remember this but I was way too excited about getting a cat). She's shown no interest in going out other than complaining when there are pigeons outside. Today she's been crying all day and spent ages crying, pawing and sniffing by the front door.

Any ideas what's gotten into her all of a sudden and how to get her to shut up?

OP posts:
Fluffycloudland77 · 09/04/2014 15:23

Could you let her out?

Preciousbane · 09/04/2014 15:27

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QueenStromba · 09/04/2014 15:28

Maybe I could take her down to the courtyard bit? We're near two big roads but I don't think she could get out.

OP posts:
QueenStromba · 09/04/2014 15:40

I took her out for a minute and she quite confidently went down all the stairs (we're third floor) and had a bit of a sniff before I got worried and brought her back up.

Has anyone heard of anyone having any luck with a dog lead on a cat?

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 09/04/2014 16:45

She might have heard the stirrings of Spring/Summer (baby birds) outside - or maybe someone else in the building has acquired a cat without you knowing it and there are smells drifting?

I'd be very wary about making her an outside-going cat after all these years. I'd treat it as a temporary aberration and keep her in.

Fluffycloudland77 · 09/04/2014 16:47

You can buy harness's for cats. eBay has a selection.

QueenStromba · 09/04/2014 16:51

I got her a harness and took her for a little walk. She's actually pretty good on the lead. We're only just back and she's crying to get out again though.

OP posts:
QueenStromba · 09/04/2014 16:54

She definitely won't be going out on her own Cozie - too many main roads nearby.

OP posts:
PaulinesPen · 09/04/2014 16:55

Cats need the freedom to make the decsion to be in or out themselves. It's what cats do.

Fluffycloudland77 · 09/04/2014 16:56

There's nothing for it, you'll have to move house.

QueenStromba · 09/04/2014 17:44

I think I'm just going to have to accept that Rice has decided that I'm now the sort of person who takes their cat for a walk.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.