My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

For the want of a worming tablet

10 replies

Lonecatwithkitten · 24/02/2014 14:08

I just wanted to remind people of how important worming is. Today we have had to do major surgery on a cat whose intestines were blocked by tapeworm. Regular worming would have saved the cat pain and misery and the owner hundreds of pounds.

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 24/02/2014 15:08

Sheez. I didn't know that their innards could actually be blocked. Timely advice, Lone.

Is his situation looking OK?

SpanielFace · 24/02/2014 15:29

Eek. Vet here. How horrible! Was it a kitten or an adult cat?

I totally agree by the way, the number of good, caring clients who come for boosters and haven't wormed their pet since the previous year is frightening. I normally tell them about toxocara and blindness. I'll add this to the list now.

Hope the cat is ok.

Lonecatwithkitten · 24/02/2014 16:40

Adult cat three years old female. One of the tapeworms removed was nearly 10 inches long.

OP posts:
Hoppinggreen · 24/02/2014 16:45

Bloody hell, I've been a ( responsible) cat owner for almost 30 years and I didn't know they got tapeworms!!!
Thanks for the info - will send DH to pet shop for dewormer on his way home this evening.

Lonecatwithkitten · 24/02/2014 17:05

Hopping you really need a good quality wormer like drontal or milbemax.

OP posts:
yetanotherworry · 25/02/2014 20:59

How often should we be worming? I do it every 12 weeks but have read that hunters should be wormed more frequently so not sure anymore.

cozietoesie · 26/02/2014 10:53

I just had the tape measure out for something and, remembering this thread, I measured out 10 inches. That is vile. Poor cat.

\link{http://www.icatcare.org/advice/keeping-your-cat-healthy/worms-and-worming-your-cat\Here's} some advice on worming, yet. Probably best to read it after you've eaten lunch.

cozietoesie · 26/02/2014 10:59

Sorry - I just noticed that that guidance suggests every 1-3 months which doesn't help you much on your specific question. Myself, I used to worm every couple of months for a hunter but ideally you could do with a vet's advice. (Lone or Spaniel may comment later.)

Fuzzymum1 · 26/02/2014 20:23

We use droncit spot on every two months. Two of ours are ipossible to give pills to so we use the spot on for all seven of them.

Lovethesea · 28/02/2014 20:05

My vet advised monthly for my hunting tabby as he brings us things daily and eats a lot of birds and small mammals.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.