My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Cat has an infected bite on his head!

6 replies

DrHolmes · 27/11/2013 18:56

My cat has been in a fight by the looks of it. I noticed alump on his head a few days ago and then today my partner said it looks like he needs a trip to the vet. I thought it had just been a bump/scab at first but now its like a puncture with some gunky stuff coming out of it and it is a bit smelly.

Called the vet so got an appointment tomorrow afternoon, i assume he will get anti bitoics but what I am wanting to do is give it a bit of a clean.

I got a jug and put salt in it and poured boiling water. Added some more salt. Waiting for it to cool and then do you think it will be ok to bathe with cotton wool?

Or should I just leave and wait until tomorrow?

OP posts:
Fluffycloudland77 · 27/11/2013 19:29

You can if you want to. As long as you don't use chemicals.

How would you cope with only 9 fingers?

DrHolmes · 27/11/2013 19:44

What do you mean about 9 fingers Fluffy?!

I bathed it and it was honking! Spoke to my uncle who's a vet and he said to try to get as much pus out as possible but to be careful as it might hurt. The he said he will prob get anti biotics tomorrow. Aw poor catty.

OP posts:
SoupDragon · 27/11/2013 19:53

I assume its because most cats would take one of your fingers off if untried to bathe them :)

I've had this sort of injury numerous times with my cats. Antibiotics sort it out nice and quickly.

issey6cats · 27/11/2013 21:09

sounds like it has formed an abcess and vet will sort out with anti bacs

Inkspellme · 27/11/2013 22:10

had this numerous times with my old cat. I got some cleaning stuff from the vet and after the second time got an extra one to have ready. I cleaned it as often as I could.

funnily enough the cat never tried to scratch me even when I was squeezing it and that must have hurt her. I even showered her when it had burst initially and was all over her face. I swear they know when you're trying to help.

Lonecatwithkitten · 28/11/2013 00:07

Bathing with salt water and cotton wool is as good as and antibacterial wash.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.