My feed

to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

When to introduce new cat/kitten

3 replies

SilveryMoon · 16/11/2013 08:48

I have 2 cats. One we've had for 4 years, the other 2. The younger one has to go :-( I'm really sad about it but she is not coping here. When I got her, I was told she was an indoor cat so shouldn't have any issues being here. Over the years, she has been urinating everywhere and the vet feels she may benefit from being outside. I live in a first floor flat and don't think she'd come back if I let her out. I also found out that the person I got her from was not completely truthful and this cat had ben going outside.

A friend of mine is re-homing her kitten as her dp has developed an allergy. I know 100% that this one is a house cat and she is lovely.
My dh wants to send our young cat to a rescue and bring this other cat straight here.
I've said no because although she does have to go, I can't just replace her like that and I'm worried it will be too big a change for the older cat. I'm right aren't I?

OP posts:
SilveryMoon · 16/11/2013 09:34


OP posts:
thereinmadnesslies · 16/11/2013 09:53

I feel really uncomfortable with the idea of you sending one cat to a rescue then getting a replacement kitten. We just got a cat from a rescue and they are totally overwhelmed with cats and kittens - are you sure you will find a place for your cat?

SilveryMoon · 16/11/2013 10:08

I don't know madness Sad I'm not just dumping my cat. We have tried really hard with her, but I can't spend the rest of her life scrubbing urine off my bed or replacing the mattresses this often. She is really nervous, she came really nervous, the vet says she is really stressed. The feliway isn't working, I can't let her out. Believe me this isn't a case of dumping her. This has been a really difficult decision, but she just isn't happy here.
I have an opportunity to take ownership of a cat who is very friendly. I just don't think it'd be right to do both things at the same time. I don't want my older cat to suffer and i don't want him to be alone, so I'd get another cat at some stage anyway, but would it be better sooner, or to give him time to grieve.
My younger cat will go regardless. I just can't keep her here for all our sakes

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.