My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

cat sleepy after advocate

12 replies

boo97 · 11/11/2013 11:47

I have noticed that my boycat becomes very sleepy for the 24 hours after we put advocate on him. He is normally a very active and outdoorsy boy. Is this common with Advocate? Has anybody else experienced this?

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 11/11/2013 11:59

Chemical load can affect a cat. How often are you dosing him?

ohfourfoxache · 11/11/2013 12:06

Ours are both like this too (we particularly notice it with girlcat as she is always outside, boycat is a 6.5kg lump who just likes to snooze on the bed for most of the day anyway!)

We're actually considering changing to tablets as they hate the drops so much, but I don't know if this will affect the sleepiness factor

boo97 · 11/11/2013 12:11

Thanks for reply, I'm dosing him about every 6-8 weeks. The information leaflet says it can be used every month. I'm careful to apply it as advised and I haven't seen him licking at the application site - difficult anyway right at the back of his neck/base of skull.

OP posts:
boo97 · 11/11/2013 12:14

ohfour - glad to hear its not just my boy then. He doesn't seem to mind the drops, but girl cat makes a dash for the cat flap if she sees me get them out!

OP posts:
PatoBanton · 11/11/2013 12:16

yy

our elderly female cat was very poorly last time she had it - never too bad the first few times but we left a gap and gave her it and she was really ill, off her food, sick, she had an accident in the house and didn't eat or get up off the chair for about 24 hours.

Her eyelid was up and she was really unwell. I reported it to the vets and they said, yes, it does happen.

I would desist in giving it to him and try stronghold instead which was what we did and though both have an alcohol carrier, the chemicals are different.

They are pretty toxic meds, it's a recognised reaction

sorry. Poor old boy

cozietoesie · 11/11/2013 12:20

Well that sounds more or less OK to me - although maybe lengthen his dosing time if he's sensitive to the chemicals? Is he an indoor cat?

boo97 · 11/11/2013 12:28

Thanks PatoBanton, poor old boy is only 1 year old and is normally so active which is why it worried me. We have used advocate for years on our 17 yr old girl cat and have never noticed any reaction - apart from her legging it out the cat flap when she sees us coming with the pipette!
I think I will do as you say and change brand for boy cat because I don't want the reaction to get worse. It is so out of character for him, even if he is asleep on my bed he will usually be regularly attacking my toes, but he's not interested in anything for 12- 24 hours after the advocate.

OP posts:
boo97 · 11/11/2013 12:31

Cozie - he's a very outdoorsy cat normally - has made friends with all the neighbours Grin, hence why it worries me when he is flaked out on my bed all day. He's back to his pesky self the next day.

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 11/11/2013 12:32

I'd discus things with my vet.

cozietoesie · 11/11/2013 12:38

x post,

At only a year old, I wouldn't be dosing him as often as you are. Is there an issue?

Seriously, I'd talk to your vet.

boo97 · 11/11/2013 12:46

I will definitely talk to my vet (he's great). There are a lot of cats in our area and fleas are rife, so dosing as the vet advised. To be honest it is usually every 8 weeks that we dose him. The vet originally advised 4-6 weeks. Boy cat is quite a big (V. handsome Grin) ginger neutered boy - 4.5kg.
Thank you for the advice.

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 11/11/2013 13:23

Sounds just like The Lodger.

Grin

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.