My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

cat toys

22 replies

paneer · 06/11/2013 23:57

cheesy cat has a cat flap but does get locked in when its dark. as its darker longer now thinking I might get some more toys for her. she has some balls, a couple of wand toys and a laser pointer.

what do yours have and enjoy ?

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 07/11/2013 00:08

Small plush teddies and other kiddies' little soft toys (for 'killing' and food dipping) - and cardboard things (boxes, kitchen and toilet roll innards etc.)

If you're handy you could always make a cat tower for her? Loads of instructions for those (as well as cat toys) on the web. A simple google search would do it.

catameringue · 07/11/2013 04:11

One of mine loves foil, carrier bags and big sheets of paper like flipchart paper, and pouncing on these. But my other two aren't impressed.

All three like a new wand toy I bought from pets at home. It's got a more realistic looking squished mouse at the end. It even gets my older 'I'm too good for this' cat joining in.

sashh · 07/11/2013 07:18

boxes, you can't go wrong with boxes.

cozietoesie · 07/11/2013 11:33

Oh - I forgot. If you have biffing or batting toys, it's often a good idea to 'hide' them in places so that they can hunt for them and then find them. They seem to enjoy that.

Best to make the hiding places fairly standard so that they have a good anticipation of getting something there - ie maybe show then the first time and then leave them to it afterwards.

DidoTheDodo · 07/11/2013 14:27

Didokitty brings her own supply of toys in - we are inundated with leaves, feathers and twigs. She even has her own toybox now and also a collection on the back doorstep for when she goes out.

Nothing we have ever bought compares to these "au naturel" toys!

Fluffycloudland77 · 07/11/2013 16:35

Conkers, used foam ear plugs, ball of tin foil, newspaper arranged like a house roof, catnip mice, ping pong balls.

catameringue · 07/11/2013 17:50

Anything that makes a tunnel.

paneer · 07/11/2013 21:56

great ideas
although cozie what are biffing and batting toys Confused

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 07/11/2013 22:07

Grin

Toys that you can biff or bat (ie give a good paw swipe and knock up in the air or knock sideways for 6 ft.) Tends to be small kiddies plush toys - teddies or dogs about two or three times the size of a real life mouse (which still isn't that big) seems to be favoured. As are large floppy ears which can be chewed and shaken.

Charity shop bins are a good source of cheap ones - kiddies toys are best because they're sold under safety regs and don't usually have metal spikes etc which some of the supermarket cat toys do.

cozietoesie · 07/11/2013 22:08

PS - and kiddy toys can be flung in a machine, washed on a soft wash and dry in about an hour - or less.

hoppingmad · 07/11/2013 22:24

It's coming up to the time of year my cats love best - favourite ever toys in this house are the little bows you put on presents. They absolutely love them. I kept a stash for them last year but they've all been lost or destroyed now.

cozietoesie · 07/11/2013 23:06

Lordy.

I'm one of those people who think 'safety' when I give the troops something to play with. Their toys are checked out for spikes and metal bits, chewability ...you name it. They've loved rubber bands and pipe cleaners - but unless you're absolutely on top of playing with those, usually meaning present, they degrade and go nasty so fast hat they might be a liability.

Maybe judge what you give them by your lifestyle, paneer.

timtam23 · 07/11/2013 23:10

Cardboard boxes of all sizes, leaves from the garden, but his favorite ever toys are a couple of craft pom poms which the kids had left lying around the house, he "traps" them & runs around with them in his mouth, very sweet.

BigPawsBrown · 07/11/2013 23:11

A fabric catnip bird. He absolutely loves it, has had it for months and still plays with it/carries it around every day.

GoingGoingGoth · 07/11/2013 23:23

Big paper bag, GothCat loves if we get a massive Primark carrier.
He's spent the last few days just sitting on the last one (after tearing a massive whole in it) We aren't allowed to touch it.

catameringue · 08/11/2013 08:25

Yes those primark bags are great. Last about 5 mins here though cat will sit in the remnants for days.

paneer · 11/11/2013 19:27

might make her a cat tower for Christmas Grin

put a paper bag down for her on the weekend. she isn't bothered!

OP posts:
PolterGoose · 13/11/2013 22:17

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

timtam23 · 13/11/2013 22:23

Yeowww catnip toys are very popular with my 2

Expensive at the time but they last much much longer than any other catnip toys I've bought

clarabella1976 · 13/11/2013 22:47

balls that you can throw & they chase, mouse shaped toys, pom poms & anything with cat nip!....try local quid shop as this time of yr some are stocking cat crimbo stockings with a selection of toys inside

MinkyWinky · 13/11/2013 23:10

Bat cat is mad about this fish www.petsathome.com/shop/annette-fish-100-filled-cat-toy-by-cosmic-catnip-92605. He meows madly at it and carries it round the house.

Both cats love 'disembowelling' this mouse... www.petsathome.com/shop/catnip-felt-friend-by-petstages-106851. We always have it to hand when they're trying to practice on our arms... We've had it nearly a year and it's still in one piece. Grin

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.