My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Clipping cats claws

21 replies

Minimammoth · 28/08/2013 17:25

Anyone have any experience of cutting claws? My cat can't put her back foot down so claws are growing long. Can we cut them? how and how much?

OP posts:
BeenFluffy · 28/08/2013 17:28

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cozietoesie · 28/08/2013 18:06

Depends on her temperament. The vet nurses will generally do a quick and cheap claw clip but you can do it yourself if she'll be still for you. (Get proper clippers - don't use scissors or such like - and nip off the tips of the claws being careful to avoid the pink bit which is like a human nail bed.)

I should say that cats normally do their own back leg claws by chewing them. Is she an old girl? And how are her teeth?

Ponders · 28/08/2013 18:23

My cats have very worn-down back claws from scrambling up & down walls but front ones are long. Assume your cat can't do any climbing if her leg is causing problems?

I did manage to clip some of their claws in the winter when they needed it when they were asleep on my lap or in a chair. I got some great little clippers from zooplus - will look for link for you, mini

Ponders · 28/08/2013 18:27

\link{http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_health/cat_clippers\these} - they work very well & don't make a noise or anything

I often fiddle with their feet on my lap anyway hoping they'll notice less next time I do it!

cozietoesie · 28/08/2013 18:45

Seniorboy (who just cost me next month's human treats via the vet 's money machine) came to me at 13 never having had anything done to his claws. Never having had anything done in general, actually, but that's a long story.

I managed to train him to grooming and claw clipping in several weeks. He now loves his groom but clipping isn't his favourite thing - he'll permit it though.

On the question of clippers, I would say to get some that have fairly open cutting surfaces and not 'holes' into which you're supposed to insert a claw. If you have a cat who is not overly keen on claw nipping, you need a quick in and out and not a procedure.

(Just off to look at Ponders' list.)

cozietoesie · 28/08/2013 18:47

The Trixie deluxe look like the sort of thing I was talking about.

Minimammoth · 28/08/2013 20:36

Alas, I think it may be too late for all of that. She is having medical treatment, but I think she is dying Sad she is just lying and growls when we go near, won't allow strokes. She is17

OP posts:
Minimammoth · 28/08/2013 20:36

Don't know what to do

OP posts:
Ponders · 28/08/2013 20:38

Oh mini Sad

What does the vet say?

Ponders · 28/08/2013 20:39

What is she being treated for? Is she in pain? Poor love (her and you)

Minimammoth · 28/08/2013 20:41

I spoke to vet last week when she was sort of ok. He said we would know when her time was up. He gave her months in April. Don't know whether to ring vet, or just let her go in her own way.

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 28/08/2013 20:41

Vet, my sweet, That sounds bad. If she can't be treated, her problems can be stopped. Do you have an Out Of Hours number?

Minimammoth · 28/08/2013 20:42

Well she started limping, lost the use of one back leg. But vet found lymphoma. She is on steroids.

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 28/08/2013 20:43

If she's on the way out, it could take her some time in misery. Get a vet in.

cozietoesie · 28/08/2013 20:44

Mini

I'm speaking here as one who made some bad mistakes with a cat in the past. Don't let her suffer.

Minimammoth · 29/08/2013 12:23

Thank you for your advice and support. She made it through the night, and even managed to get out into the garden this morning, but was struggling, vet has just been and put her to rest. I am going to miss her.

OP posts:
Ponders · 29/08/2013 12:24

oh Sad

so sorry, mini.

cozietoesie · 29/08/2013 12:30

Sad

You did the right thing, though.

sashh · 29/08/2013 17:01

I got the vet to show me how to do it and then bought the propper clippers from the vet.

loopyloou · 29/08/2013 18:20

So sorry minimammoth, you did the right thing [hugs]

Minimammoth · 29/08/2013 19:50

Thank you for the hugs people. It's going to be weird the next few days. There is a Fluff shaped hole in my day.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.