My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Is it OK for a cat to eat bluebottles?

8 replies

Ponders · 10/08/2013 15:01

There was one in the room driving me nuts - I couldn't get it with a magazine. Hunter-fetcher cat came in & within seconds had knocked it down, trapped it with a paw & scoffed it. Ewww. Shock

(Footballer cat, who is a bit dim, just lay there & ignored it)

Anyway I wondered about germs & eggs & stuff...Confused

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 10/08/2013 15:22

Don't see why not. There may be the odd rare disease that one is carrying I suppose but mine always have and have never been ill from it. They'd eat them in the wild after all.

And just try and stop them.

Smile

lljkk · 10/08/2013 15:34

My cats always ate them. Maybe an issue if you never worm your cats.

monsterchild · 10/08/2013 15:40

I've never had a cat get I'll from eating bugs. I seem onevomit but that was from sheer numbers of bugs. (a kitten faced with a cicada plague)

Ponders · 10/08/2013 19:37

they were wormed this week - next dose due in November - so I don't need to worry?

Thanks, guys Smile

OP posts:
NettoSuperstar · 10/08/2013 19:42

My cats eat bugs all the time, that's why I have them Grin

cozietoesie · 10/08/2013 19:44

And if you think Ewww for a bluebottle, just wait until one of them goes after a Daddy Long Legs and comes back - successful but not noticing that he's still got some legs dangling from the side of his mouth!

Grin

Fluffycloudland77 · 10/08/2013 20:01

We don't get many spiders anymore, I came home one day to find a little pile of legs on the top step of the stairs though.

We had one the size of a hamster running around the bedroom once, I wouldn't let him have it though, for his own safety.

deliasmithy · 12/08/2013 20:05

Probably a good source of protein? !

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.