My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

I desperately need your help, Cat Gurus of MN!

14 replies

FeegleFion · 15/07/2013 16:29

I love cats. I freely admit I much prefer the company of big bullie breed dogs, but I do love cats.

However, I have a problem and if I'm unable to find a way to stop it, I'm going to start using the many, many, many local cats for target practice I obviously would never do such a thing Wink

My house has pebble style gravel around the porch area at the front and as I was going out to cut my grass last week, I found that a cat had decided that the front of the house looked like a massive litter tray Hmm

And again, when I went to hang washing out, yesterday. Angry

This hasn't happened before, despite a lot of the local cats using the shade of my bushes to sleep (this has always been the case and I had no problem with cat poo before last week).

I have a 7 month old DS and I like to take a blanket out and let him roll around in the front garden, as the back garden is paved, so I would really appreciate any advice on how to stop my front being turned into a litter tray.

TIA

OP posts:
FeegleFion · 15/07/2013 16:31

I do have grass in the front. I don't let DS roll around on shale Grin

OP posts:
Masterchuff · 15/07/2013 16:35

Sticks pointed up out the gravel? We have done this in our herb beds as our cat is forever trying to crap in them. Seems to have worked.

cozietoesie · 15/07/2013 16:58

Have you looked at motion activated cat repeller/scarers Feegle ? There are several of the ultrasonic noise/water jet variety on Amazon with generally very positive reviews. I haven't used one myself but other posters may have a view on them.

FeegleFion · 15/07/2013 17:10

Thanks both Grin I will try the sticks first, as I've no problem with them taking shelter under the bushes, and would prefer to stop the little bastard darling shitting rather than scaring them all off but I will have a look on Amazon for plan B. GrinWink

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 15/07/2013 17:14

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

FeegleFion · 15/07/2013 17:30

I will do! Thanks again Grin

OP posts:
Lonecatwithkitten · 15/07/2013 18:31

I think your big bully breed dogs need to spend much more time in that part of the garden.

FeegleFion · 15/07/2013 20:20

Can't have any lovelies Sad it's unfair as I work F-T

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 15/07/2013 20:29

A pity - because, to underline what Lone said, the best cat deterrents I've ever had are dogs. (They truly just wanted to be friends but the non-resident cats always misinterpreted their advances. (The resident cats treated them with disdain.))

RandomMess · 15/07/2013 21:10

Much bigger pebbles that they can't dig into?

Lonecatwithkitten · 15/07/2013 21:57

Ah then the next option is to get your own feline who will defend you territory for you. I have a very clean, but super feisty one if you would like.

FeegleFion · 15/07/2013 23:42

I'd love a pussla but DP is a walking allergy. looks like he's passed it on to baby DS Confused

It's bizarre how all of a sudden it's happening.

I can't change the pebbles. It's a rental.

I've heard chilli powder works, is that true? I don't want to hurt a cat though, and chilli would hurt...

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 15/07/2013 23:48

It might, I guess, but I'm blowed if I can see how you would keep it in the right place in the garden what with rain and wind.

sashh · 16/07/2013 06:38

egg shells if the sticks don't work.

I'm sure the landlord would let you change the pebbles if you explain about the cats.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.