My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Advice re stray please

15 replies

mumofjust1 · 13/09/2012 20:35

A cat has been coming into our garden and sometimes our house for the last few months. He sleeps in our garage - I have put a cat bed with a blanket in it out there for him. I assume he is a stray.

He (it's clearly a he) has no collar, is extremely nervous of people, hasn't been neutered, is very very thin, his little ears are bitten through and I feel awful for him.

He kept sneaking into the house by jumping through the kitchen window when it was open and stealing my cats food. One of them wasn't happy about that and swiped him a few times, but didn't hurt him - he still keeps coming. He sometimes just walks in the back door and settles down on the floor.

Anyway, for the past few nights he has been coming into the garden miaowing, so each night when he's turned up I've taken him out a bowl of fresh water and a bowl of food, and I sit down with him while he eats. I have never seen a cat eat so quickly - he gulps it down, it mustn't even touch the sides I'm sure. He's been letting me stroke him a little now and is getting more confident with me.

One of his eyes has been very watery and is becoming worse - just now, it was leaking pus which was oozing down his face as he ate.

What can I do to help him? I can't afford to take him to the vet - he's not my cat anyway. God that sounds harsh, I mean because I'm not his owner I can't just take him off somewhere.

Not really sure what to do.

Should I be feeding him? He looks so gaunt and frail I just can't help but give him something :(

OP posts:
mellen · 13/09/2012 20:36

Could you take him to a cat rescue, then they can get him treated and maybe rehomed?

mumofjust1 · 13/09/2012 21:15

Would a cats rescue treat him? I thought they just took in unwanted cats.

Will give it a go though, thanks Smile

Should I keep feeding him?

OP posts:
mellen · 13/09/2012 21:21

They do take cats in, but they routinely get them checked over by a vet. I hope that you manage to get things sorted out for him. Given that you are sure he is a stray I would feed him tonight and try and get him to a rescue in the morning.

Fluffycloudland77 · 13/09/2012 21:40

I'd feed him, it sounds like he needs all the energy he can get.

Aldi pouch food is good if you can't afford much, I use it for our cat.

It sounds like he isn't coping very well and us getting the you know what beaten out of him.

issey6cats · 14/09/2012 11:54

his eye sounds infected have you got any spare antibiotics lying around the house you could crush some into his food would probably help with the infection, and being a stray hes probably got worms which will make him very thin could you possibly worm him once again crushed into his food if hes nervous, i would get him onto all the local rescue waiting lists you can as they will neuter him, treat him for any problems and rehome him, poor cat be prepeared for a wait though as all the rescues are up thier ears in kittens and moms at this time of year, at least for now he has a bed , shelter and you feeding him best you can do for him under the cercumstances

Toughasoldboots · 14/09/2012 12:00

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sue384 · 14/09/2012 15:52

Ring the Cat protection League thay will sort it for you

mumofjust1 · 14/09/2012 20:37

Thanks Issey and Toughas Smile

I haven't seen him since about 8pm last night - I hope nothing has happened to him.

I didn't think about worms and fleas - sometimes the obvious has to be pointed out to me! I have drontal so will crush one into his food next time he's here. Will try and frontline him as well.

The eye does look infected - and the other one is very watery. It'd be good if I could get him into the vet, but he only comes at night, and I don't want to lock him in the house overnight. I'd hate to frighten him.

Will ring the RSPCA tomorrow. Rang local cats protection league today and left a message - no call back from them yet.

If he does have an owner, could I get into trouble for feeding him, medicating him and taking him to a vet, seeing as he isn't mine?

OP posts:
Toughasoldboots · 14/09/2012 21:06

Toughasoldboots · 14/09/2012 21:06

sashh · 15/09/2012 09:36

Cats protection do a capture, nueter and release - they would probably include vet treatment as well. Comtavt them or the RSPCA

Fluffycloudland77 · 15/09/2012 10:06

Has he turned up?

mumofjust1 · 15/09/2012 11:02

No fluffy -no sign of him Sad

OP posts:
Fluffycloudland77 · 15/09/2012 11:07

Oh dear. Sometimes they hide in undergrowth if they are ill, mine hid in the bottom of the garden when he had an abcess in his paw.

I really hope he turns up.

cozietoesie · 15/09/2012 11:40

Maybe someone else has seen him and taken him to a rescue.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.