My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

cat with TB

5 replies

puffinnuffin · 24/08/2012 22:43

Our 8 year old cat went to the vet for her annual check up and booster jabs. The vet said she has TB which is rather a shock.She would have picked up it up from catching voles/rats apparently (no cattle near here).

She has been acting rather strangely recently and even more nervy than normal. We had to make 3 appointments just to be able to get her to the vets.
We need to decide what to do but the outlook doesn't look good. Options are to do nothing (but she will become contagious and infect other pets/our young children/possibly adults. Or she could have surgery but then need months of pills/treatment (which she would hate and fight all the way) or be put to sleep. None of the options have a happy ending really.

Does anyone have any experience of cat TB?

OP posts:
Report
cozietoesie · 25/08/2012 05:34

Oh Dear, puffin. The outlook isn't good, is it?

I've no experience with it - but one important thing. Have you had the family checked out? It can spread animal to human and it's just possible that one or more of the family members could be infected but not showing signs - and if so, best to get it pinned down quickly. Sorry if I sound alarmist (I don't mean to be) but it really is a worrying condition and you need to get the humans checked out.

All the best with the problem. It looks as if there's only one option given the seriousness of the disease and the limited (or no) care available for cats.

Sad

Report
puffinnuffin · 28/08/2012 19:12

Thanks Cozietozie. The vet said we should all be OK except our 2 year old as his immune system wouldn't be developed enough.

We made the decison that our cat had a happy life and the kindest thing would be to put her to sleep rather than lots of surgery etc. However our cat who is extremely nervous hid and missed the appointment. Then the vet left a message saying it might not to TB and could only be confirmed by tests, but the results won't be known for many weeks. She was pretty certain as the initial visit that it was TB and other cats in the area where we live have been found to have TB. I am very confused now as to what to do. Poor cat.

OP posts:
Report
cozietoesie · 28/08/2012 19:38

I'm glad you updated because I was wondering how the vet knew it was TB (you didn't mention any tests.) I'd wait until the vet confirms whether it is or not - and if not, whether she has anything wrong with her.

Report
cozietoesie · 28/08/2012 19:50

PS - but just in case, I'd keep her in.

Report
puffinnuffin · 28/08/2012 21:08

Thanks for the advice. It was our cats annual check up and the vet could tell by feeling her neck- her glands were up and apparently this is a sign. We're waiting for the vet to call back tomorrow.

OP posts:
Report
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.