My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our community of cat lovers on the Mumsnet Cat forum for kitten advice and help with cat behaviour.

The litter tray

Cats fighting or playing?

7 replies

thetroutpout · 24/08/2012 13:00

Hi, we have a girl cat aged one and a kitten also a girl aged 7 weeks. Initially there was hissing and yowling when they met but they can now be in the same room and will eat alongside one another quite happily, no agression around food at all. But mostly they chase one another and fight, silently, no hissing, ears are forward and claws don't seem to be out. Just worried because the kitten is so much smaller than the cat - although she seems to give as good as she gets, and chases the older cat, she does occasionally give out a little squeak as if she is in pain, at which point I tend to step in and separate them. I always separate them at night and if we go out but am wondering about other times - do we just let them get on with it or try and stop the fighting? I am wondering if eventually they will both just get tired and go to sleep! Thx.

OP posts:
cozietoesie · 24/08/2012 13:04

Sounds like they've already sorted things out. I'd just leave them to it while you're around. (Separate them when you go out for a little bit if that makes you more relaxed.) Big cats play with little cats in nature - it's a teaching thing - and from what you say, there's no likelihood of any real harm coming to the little 'un. She'll soon be bigger, anyway.

Smile

lljkk · 25/08/2012 13:47

Fighting cats yowl terribly (distinctively) & hiss. Playing cats just do little growls & chase about, occasionally stopping games with a hiss. It's good bonding, I'd let them get on with it.

OldLadyKnowsNothing · 25/08/2012 14:02

It's playfighting, they're good.

cozietoesie · 25/08/2012 17:17

And the larger cat is only a year old - that's really nowt but a kitten herself.

Smile

lemonpie7 · 26/08/2012 09:54

I'm so glad I found this thread, I've just logged on to ask exactly the samething myself. This exactly describes our situation, I'm almost 100% sure they are playing, but I'm still nervous! Our big one is a neutered male, and our kitten a girl. I let them run around togethr a little bit, and they seem to be chasing each other, no hissing or spitting. Then the biggy pounced on the little one earlier this morning and pinned her down for a moment. Still no hissing or spitting, claws sheathed, and no harm. When I picked up the little one, she semed absolutly fine, and wanted to wriggle out of my hands and get back to the big one. Still, it scared me a little bit. Would you be happy to let them continue to chase each other around, under supervision?

cozietoesie · 26/08/2012 10:21

Yep. Sounds fine. Big cats play games with kittens and younger cats all the time - trust me, if there was aggression or fighting you'd know about it - from two streets away!

Smile

lemonpie7 · 26/08/2012 12:29

Thank you, that is very reassuring

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.